Pot Luck Salmon Bake

Thursday 19 September 2013

 
  photo SAM_0544_zps0d919323.jpg


A few of the ladies from my church got together today for a Pot Luck Lunch.  We like to do that from time to time.  It's nice to just spend time with each other outside of church and get to know each other better.  I really enjoy that.  It was also one of the girl's birthday, so there was an additional reason for us to celebrate this time together.

 photo SAM_0547_zps9705ada8.jpg

I had a really busy morning as I had an appointment to have my hair cut and so I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time and so I just went to my store cupboard and looked to see what I had to hand.

 photo SAM_0551_zpsca78390f.jpg

A bit of this and a bit of that and a short while later I had a delicious casserole created, which took barely any time at all to create.  It went together simply and quickly.

 photo SAM_0552_zps0c5e2e3d.jpg

A pouch of precooked rice, some tinned salmon, frozen broccoli, a tin of condensed soup, a bottle of salad dressing, some cracker crumbs and some grated cheese and we had liftoff!  Layered in a dish in an attractive and simple way and then baked.

 photo SAM_0553_zps7ca1d0b3.jpg

It went down a real treat with the ladies and is a dish I think I will repeat often, even just for Todd and myself.   It really was quite delicious!  I love it when my experiments come out that way.  Don't you?

Enjoy!

 photo SAM_0550_zps44f74f36.jpg

*Pot Luck Salmon Bake*
Serves 4 to 6
depending on appetites
This is something I came up with at the last minute when I was invited to a pot luck lunch. I just rifled through my store cupboard and this popped out! 

1 pouch (250g) of precooked Basamati rice
1 small bag of frozen broccoli florets (about 2 cups)
1 large tin of cooked salmon, drained and flaked into large chunks
(I use two small tins of boneless skinless salmon flaked)
1 tin of condensed mushroom soup, undiluted
1 small bottle of caesar salad dressing
a couple handfuls of buttery round crackers crushed
2 TBS butter to dot on the top
240g of grated strong cheddar cheese (2 cups)  

 photo SAM_0554_zps5c17a621.jpg  

Preheat the oven to 180*C/ 350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a 1 litre oval casserole dish.
Crumble the basamati rice into the bottom of the casserole dish.   Cook the broccoli florets, according to the package directions, in the microwave until almost done.  Drain and chop.  Sprinkle the broccoli over the rice.   Stir together the condensed soup and the salad dressing.  Spoon a third of this over top of the broccoli.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese.  Top with the flaked salmon and sprinkle with another 1/2 cup of the cheese.  Spoon the remainder of the soup mixture over all and smooth it out with a spoon.   Sprinkle the crushed crackers evenly over top and dot with the butter.  Sprinkle over top the remainder of the cheese.   

  photo SAM_0557_zps5386225e.jpg

Bake, uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, until the casserole is bubbling away, heated through and the top is golden brown.  Cover lightly with foil if it starts to brown too quickly, removing the foil for the last five minutes to crisp up.  Serve hot.

9 comments

  1. I know I would like this. I was thinking today about new ways to use canned salmon and not coming up with much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not used canned salmon in many a moon. Yet I use canned tuna quite happily.

    Why? (rhetorical question)

    I've bookmarked this, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I never used to use it that often in days past, because I hated fiddling with the bones and skin. My mother only mashed them into the mix. I couldn't bear that, so I would painstakingly remove all of it. Now that you can buy salmon in the tin with none of the skin and bones, it is so much easier and I use it frequently! It's a great store cupboard ingredient to have on hand, and it's good for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds delicious! I love salmon, canned or fresh, but have never had it in a pot luck dish. In fact, we had it on the grill tonight with a dab of barbecue sauce, it was great. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you believe I can't get canned salmon here! Amazing, because salmon is one of the most commonly eaten fish in Sweden, but I've never seen it canned - you can only get it fresh, smoked or cured.

    But I can tweak a bit with what I have :-) I'm thinking spinach would also be nice in this dish. Yum! I see tomorrow night's dinner is taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you please tell me the sizes of the tins etc. for the salmon, soup, and salad dressing? The sizes of food containers here in Canada are different than what you have over there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to look them up Angie. I use the small tins of salmon,(2 X 213g) drained, deskinned and deboned, 1 four serving size tin of the condensed soup (like Campbells, 284ml) and a small bottle of salad dressing, having about 1 cup of dressing in it. (250ml)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!