Pumpkin Muffins

Saturday 28 September 2013


 photo SAM_0576_zpsadc20702.jpg

I don't know what it is about autumn and pumpkin, but the two things just go together like peas and carrots!  Last weekend I was making pumpkin butter . . . this weekend it's these tasty moist muffins!  

   photo SAM_0577_zps775dc1f7.jpg

This recipe is the cumulation of years and years of trial and testing.  I wanted a muffin that was moist and spicy.  This recipe produces a muffin that is just that.   Tender, moreishly moist with just enough spice to make you want to have another one.  

 photo SAM_0578_zps02fd2bb7.jpg

They're good keepers too.  They'll keep in a tightly closed tin for about 4 to 5 days.  They also freeze very well.  You can also double the recipe, which I normally do because there are two cups of pumpkin in one tin and if I am going to open a tin of pumpkin, I might as well use it all at once!

 photo SAM_0579_zps23185121.jpg

To freeze, just place them onto a baking tray and freeze in the freezer, then pop them into a zip lock baggie, so that you can take them out as you want them.  About 35 to 40 seconds in the microwave and they are good to go.

 photo SAM_0580_zps9fe6812b.jpg

They make a great coffee break, or elevensies treat.  A fabulous after school snack.  A great addition to the packed lunch (especially if you split them in half and spread with some creamed cheese!).  And . . . they are the perfect breakfast on the go!

 photo SAM_0581_zps7fd76cce.jpg

They're quite versatile as well.  Try adding some sultana raisins or dried cranberries, white or milk chocolate chips, chopped nuts.  All go very well!   I do hope you'll give them a go.  I just know you will love them as much as we do!  Happy Autumn y'all!! 

 photo SAM_0575_zps04e07acf.jpg


*Pumpkin Muffins*
Makes 12    
These are simple muffins, but don't let the simplicity of them fool you into thinking they aren't special.  They are moist and spicy and you will have a hard time eating just one! 

180g tinned pumpkin (or fresh cooked pureed pumpkin.
If using fresh you will need to let it drain overnight before measuring.  1 cup)
2 large free range eggs, beaten
125ml of water (1/2 cup)
125ml canola or sunflower oil (1/2 cup)
245g of plain flour (2 3/4 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
290g caster sugar (1 1/2 cups)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a 12 cup muffin tin well, or line with papers.  Set aside.

Whisk the flour, salt, sugar and spices together in a bowl.  Whisk together the eggs, water and oil.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet all at once.   Mix together well, without overmixing. 

Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling them 3/4 full.  Bake for 30 minutes, until well risen and the tops spring back when lightly touched. 

Let sit in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.   Delicious!

9 comments

  1. I can't do fall without gorging on pumpkin, and these look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes simple is best Marie..and I know you love pumpkin..
    You're so right about fall and pumpkins..lol for many reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing and beautiful clicks, my 1st visit here will be visiting more often.Please do drop by simply.food

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried your pumpkin muffin recipe this morning. My boys loved them! There's none left for my after dinner cup of tea. I did pick up on a typo in the directions. You left off sugar when mixing the dry ingredients. No worry though... I figured it out. I love your blog, I look forward to your posts every morning. Thanks, your wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Printed your recipe. Sugar is there... this Kindle is killing my eyes! So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed LJ! I didn't know you could read blogs on a kindle!! Thanks for your kind comments!

    Nayna, tried to find Simply.food, but couldn't!

    Monique, they don't really do pumpkins over here that well. We get some, but they are from Kenya or someplace like that. Not good!

    Thanks Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall always makes me search out pumpkin recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie, sorry to be bothering you yet again today! ;)

    I've just made the dough for the speculaas biscuits and I want to try making the pumpkin muffins today (FINALLY found some tinned pumpkin in Tesco!) but the only sugar I have is golden caster sugar! Can I use that for the pumpkin muffins? And would it be too much of a stretch to make the peanut butter fudge with it as well?

    Thanks for your help - I'm absolutely loving trying out all these recipes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I am late in responding Ellie, I was at our church Nativity and did not get home until late! You can use caster and regular sugar interchangeably. The only difference is that the caster sugar blends in quicker. There is no discernable difference between the golden and the regular caster sugar, so you can also use them interchangeably as well. I often use the golden one because it is not as processed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!