Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Friday 6 September 2013



Something that my mother could never get any of us to eat for breakfast when I was a child, was . . . good old oatmeal porridge.



A bowl of porridge used to be met with groans and moans of disgust . . . there was no way . . . we hated it, absolutely loathed it. It didn't matter that is was healthy, stick to your ribs, energy building or even that it would put hair on your chest . . . (yeh mom, duh . . . )

Oatmeal cookies . . . we loved.

Oatmeal cake . . . we gobbled down with ultimate speed.

Oatmeal porridge . . . call out the exorcist, coz we just weren't havin it! No way . . . no how. It was slimey and . . . blecch.



In all honesty I don't think we ever gave it a fair chance. It was just one of those things that we had made up our minds ahead of time that we just weren't going to eat.



If she had had this tasty recipe in her bag of breakfast treats, it might have been a completely different story!



Mildly spiced with warm sweet spices . . . cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice . . .

Homey, only slightly sweet, and almost custardy . . . with the mild flavour of pumpkin . . .

And then there's that sweet, nutty and crunchy topping . . . sigh . . .



I can't even remember where I found the recipe for this. IF I pinched it from you, I apologize . . . I only know for sure that I have had it scribbled onto a little piece of paper in my purse for ages and only just now got around to making it.



Breakfast will never be the same again!




*Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Indulgent and delicious. Makes a change for brekkie! Treat your family today!

3 1/2 ounces (1 cup) old fashioned oats, not quick cook
2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp butter, softened
6 ounces (about 3/4 cup) pumpkin puree
6 ounces (3/4) cup milk

Streusel Topping;
1 ounce ( about 1/4 cup) pecans, chopped
2 tsp butter, softened
1 Tbs brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Butter a baking dish. Set aside.

Combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, lemon zest and salt together in a medium sized bowl, stirring all together well. Whisk the vanilla, butter, pumpkin puree and milk together in another bowl. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oats, and stir together until well combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and then bake at for 10 minutes.

While it is baking, combine the ingredients for the topping together until crumbly. After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over all. Bake for an additional 7 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with a splash of cream and some dried fruit, if desired.

2 comments

  1. oh my, this is lovely!!! I hope you and todd are well, its very cool here, Fall has truly come,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, on the other hand, LOVE oatmeal, always have! It's one of my favorite breakfasts, especially homemade instead of from a packet. I wonder if my boys would go for this one, because it looks amazing. So amazing I might even make a batch just for me. Mouthwatering!! Perfect holiday breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!