Pumpkin Spice Bread

Wednesday 11 September 2013



I always have tinned pumpkin in my larder. Call it a North American thing, but my larder feels bare without at least one tin of pumpkin puree in it.

It's so handy to have and quick to use in soups, breads, pies, biscuits, cakes . . . they had some in Aldi just recently and I bought myself about 15 tins!  *blush*



You can of course make your own when the grocery store shelves are filled with real pumpkins a bit later on in the season. It's not that hard to do, but it is somewhat time consuming.



Tinned pumpkin is so much easier and also always the right texture and consistency.

One of my favourite things to do with it is to make this tasty Pumpkin Spice bread. Long about this time of year when the days start to get shorter and the nights cooler, my heart longs for this delicious treat.



Moist from the pumpkin and delightfully spicy, this is fabulous just out of the oven . . . but, if you can resist it long enough, it gets even better after you let it sit for a few days!



Oh my but it is delicious sliced thickly and then toasted under the grill until the edges are crisp and golden . . . spread with cold butter . . . the butter melting into and gilding all the lovely little crevices.



Scrummy crunchy edges, with that demerara sugar crunch on top and the butter melting into that toasted moistness . . .



If there is a heaven on earth . . . I do believe I have died and gone there . . .



*Pumpkin Spice Bread*
Makes one 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf
Printable Recipe

A really tasty quick bread which is moist and spicy! Try it toasted and spread with butter. Yummo!!

100g of granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
85g dark soft brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
1 large free range egg
1 large free range egg yolk
4 fluid ounces sunflower oil (1/2 cup)
6 fluid ounces of pumpkin puree (3/4 cup)**
100ml plus 1 TBS full fat yoghurt (1/3 cup plus 1 TBS)
140g plus 2 TBS plain flour (1 cup plus 2 TBS)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground white pepper

To top:
1 heaped dessertspoon of demerara sugar (Turbinado)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a loaf tin really well and then line the bottom with some baking parchment and butter the parchment. Set aside.

Whisk together the sugars, egg and egg yolk, oil, pumpkin puree and yoghurt. In another bowl whisk the flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and pepper together. Stir the wet ingredients gently into the dry ingredients, combining only until evenly moistened. Scrape into the prepared baking pan and level out. Sprinkle the demerara sugar evenly over top.

Bake in the heated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, until well risen , firm to the touch and slightly cracked on top. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out to cool completely on a wire rack.

**Note - It is very easy to make pumpkin puree. Peel and halve a small pumpkin, butternut squash or other squash. Scoop out the seeds, and any stringy pulp and discard. Place cut sides down on a lightly buttered baking tray with sides. Cover with foil, tightly, sealing the edges all around. Bale at 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5 for about an hour or so, until soft, depending on how large your pieces are. You want it to be very soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool until you can handle it easily. Scrape the flesh away from the skin and puree in a blender. Line a strainer with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and put the flesh in and allow it to drain overnight in the fridge. The next day discard any liquid that has drained off and the pumpkin puree will be ready to use.

8 comments

  1. This looks wonderful, I especially like the photos where the butter is melting and the edges are all toasty and crisp . . . oh my, my mouth is starting to water :)
    I am going to have to try this recipe.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took cans of pumpkin with me and introduced pumpkin pie to Scotland a couple of years. When it ran out I tried to make a puree of the pumpkins they had at Tesco at Halloween. They must have been a different variety than N. American pumpkins because they were very stringy and the flesh was bright yellow not orange. I'm thinking they're an African variety that is more like a squash or a gourd. Anyway, baking it like you advise and then trying to puree it was an epic fail! I had to have something for Thanksgiving so I had my husband run out and get the huge sweet potatoes they had. A sweet potato pie is just like a pumpkin pie and no one but me knew the difference. I also used some of it to make pumpkin bread and also a pumpkin spice latte! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Janet, it can be really hard to find a "Proper" pumpkin over here. I have made pumpkin pie with butternut squash and sweet potato as well, with good results. The trick to using a "real" pumpkin is to let it drain really, really well. Tinned pumpkin has become more readily available here in recent years, thank goodness! There is a huge difference between using the tinned puree and trying to make your own. This is an instance where the tinned is definitely better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good - all those lovely spices! I've printed it off and added it to my folder of Oak Cottage recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie - please can I come and live with you?! This looks amazing and is definately my thing. I can imagine it though just slightly warm, with a spoon of cream over and a good cup of coffee. Wow. Such a lovely, rich colour too.

    I thought I'd be depressed about the end of summer this year with it being so nice, but I'm actually starting to feel excited about autumn/winter with posts like these.

    Hope you're well xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this pumpkin bread dear Marie look delicious and beauty!!
    Love the pics!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Can't wait to make a loaf. Thanks, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, not quite ready to bake with pumpkin over here, still a little too warm, but The Geologist will be thrilled when I do, pumpkin bread is his favorite! I need to try toasting ours this season, and add the turbinado sugar on top, that looks fantastic! Always learning from you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!