Savoury Chicken Hot Pot

Thursday 12 September 2013



It's turned back to cold windy and wet again today. Please don't tell me that the brief respite we had last week was Indian summer, coz I just don't wanna know!



This is the perfect day for staying indoors where it is wet and dry . . . and warm.



The perfect day for feasting on comfort food.



Food like this delicious chicken stew, baked in the oven . . . in one tasty pot.



All you need on the side is a nice pot of buttery mashed potatoes and a nice pile of lightly herbed green beans.



*Savoury Chicken Hot Pot*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Chicken and autumn vegetables simmered together in one deliciously hearty pot!

1 TBS olive oil
plain flour, salt and pepper
1 kg of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, each one cut into four chunks
1 pound of butternut squash (Peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks)
4 leeks, washed trimmed and thickly sliced
hot chicken stock
two small handfuls of pearl barley
2 small bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp savoury crumbled

Heat the olive oil in a large stove top/oven proof casserole dish over medium heat. Toss the chicken bits with the flour and seasoning to taste. Brown them all over in the hot oil. Add the butternut squash and leeks. Cook and stir until the leeks begin to soften. Add hot chicken stock to barely cover and the pearl barley. Add the seasonings. Bring to the boil, then cover and cook for several hours in a moderate oven, (180*C/350*F/ gas mark4) until the chicken, vegetables and barley are tender and the liquid has deliciously thickened. (About an hour and a half.) Remove the bayleaves and serve hot spooned out onto heated plates along with some buttery mashed potatoes and a green vegetable on the side.

8 comments

  1. It realy looks good...I wish I had a plate full right now.Yumm.oooxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stick to your ribs food and great for this cooler weather. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks lovely and just perfect for a blustery autumn day. I can't get pearl barley here in Sweden (gosh I miss it!), so fo you think I could use something like aborio rice or orzo instead? It won't taste quite the same I know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit of rice might be just the ticket Marie. Or you could stir some Orzo in near the end

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you for your answer. I used the rice and it was lovely! I still miss pearl barley, though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "1/2 tsp savoury crumbled"? Can you educate this American expat? :)

    Something else I'm adding to my recipe list. Oh, and I made your mustard-sauced chops a while back; delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Savoury is an herb Mrs Numbles. You could substitute marjoram if you cannot find it. Glad you enjoyed the mustard chops! They are rather special if I don't say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew I should have picked it up when I saw it in the shop this morning! Thanks Marie, it's not an herb we really use in the States!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!