Snowy Pine Nut Cookies

Sunday 15 September 2013


 photo SAM_0504_zps96cfc7b2.jpg

I had been eyeballing this recipe in one of my favourite cookbooks for a while now.  I wanted to bake something to take to a Baptism at our Chapel this evening and so decided I would make these delicious sounding Snowy Pine Nut Cookies.

 photo index_zps37f5416e.jpg

This is one of my favourite cookery books for a lot of reasons.  One, it was published by Ryland, Peters and Small and I have liked every single cookery book they've published.  Two, it's a compendium of recipes from a variety of good chefs and Three, everything I have ever made from it has been spectacular!  I highly recommend.

 photo SAM_0505_zps637a10a2.jpg

Now, back to the cookies.  There is nothing really unusual about what goes into these cookies . . . simply flour, butter, sugar, some flavourings and pine nuts.

  photo SAM_0507_zpsb492db20.jpg

Say what????   No eggs, baking soda or baking powder???? Yeppers!  None of those.  So if you have a person in your house that is allergic to eggs, these would be find for them.

 photo SAM_0509_zps5449502d.jpg

They are kind of similar to Russian Walnut Teacakes, or Mexican Wedding Cookies, or whatever it is you call them.  They are buttery and short and incredibly tasty.

 photo SAM_0511_zps62fd2f3e.jpg

In fact I would even go so far as to say they are addictive . . . rich.  Delicious.  You will find that you can't eat just one.  Nope.  You'll be diving in for a second one while you are still nibbling on the first one.  They are that good.

  photo SAM_0516_zpsb40b2b70.jpg

If you love the buttery crisp goodness of shortbread cookies . . . and the lovely crunch of pine nuts . . . then these biscuits are for you.   There is some serious scrum here.  Serious.

 photo SAM_0506_zps348d6be0.jpg


*Snowy Pine Nut Cookies*
Makes about 20
Moreishly rich and buttery.  Addictive even . . . 

200g unsalted butter, softened (14 TBS)
100g golden caster sugar (1/2 cup)
200g plain flour (1 1/2 cups approx.)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
200g pine nuts, roughly chopped (generous 1 1/2 cups)
1 tsp almond extract
icing sugar for dusting 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/ 350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line two baking trays with some baking parchment. 

Cream the butter and sugar together until soft.  Beat in the almond extract, salt, flour and nuts, mixing well together.  Using your hands shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Place them at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden.  Allow to cool for a few minutes, then dust with icing sugar.  Remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.  Once finished cooling completely,  dust with icing sugar again, generously.   

Store in an airtight container.  These will keep for at least a week.  (Fat chance you have them that long!  ☺ )

 photo SAM_0514_zps3bb0e7fb.jpg

Unfortunately the Baptism was canceled and we ended up having to keep these for ourselves.  Such a hardship . . . 

12 comments

  1. Wow! They look like delicious biscuits! How yummy! I can't wait it try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look divine so very delicious, my 1st visit here and your blog looks amazing.Please do drop by simply.food some time .

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look like frosted perfection..Pine nuts are so $$$ here..I am at the bottom of our bag..and will soon splurge.. almost $30.00 at out Costco for not such a big bag..
    They are little jewels of nuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious, could you substitute the pine nuts for something else like chocolate or have them plain?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great name for a cookbook. These cookies look crazy good, Marie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh Marie, this afternoon i was just saying to Garry what I could do with the Pine nuts I have in the fridge, I even googled recipes, for something sweet with them instead of pasta or pesto.Can you imagine my delight to find this post, wow, you and I are on the same wave length! lol,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I could help Laurie!!

    Colette, you could use chopped almonds, or walnuts or pecans I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, my friend was just bemoaning pine nuts! She bought a bunch of unshelled ones, and apparently shelling them was torture. I'm not sure if I would use pine nuts in these or sub another nut, but the cookie part sounds like exactly what I love! That cookbook looks so inviting... I'm going to have to go look it up...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is golden caster sugar the same as light brown sugar? I’ve some pine nuts I bought last summer for pesto and would like to use them up. Thanks Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsha, thanks for your question! It is just a less refined version of granulated sugar. You can use ordinary granulated sugar in its place without any effect on the end result or flavour! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!