The Top Ten in The English Kitchen

Thursday 26 September 2013

 

I've been a bit under the weather this week.  I spent almost all of last evening in the ER and so didn't get anything much new cooked to show you.  Things should be back on track shortly, but for today I thought I would share with you my top Ten most view recipes on the blog.   You are in for a real treat!  A click on the recipe title will take you to the relevant page!



Coming in at Number 10.  Black Current Drizzle Cake
A lovely buttery loaf cake covered with a sugared glaze of black currents, and studded throughout with the same.  

  

Number 9 is Oven Baked Breaded Pork Chops.
Tender bone in pork chops, breaded and baked in the oven.  They practically cook themselves and always go down a real treat!


 photo SAM_5493_zpse9267e4f.jpg 

Number 8 is Braised Red Cabbage.
This a great recipe to have in your repertoire.  It goes wonderfully with all sorts, roasts and chops and Holiday Dinners.  Turkey, Ham, Pork, Beef, Duck, Goose.  They all suit!

 

Delicious Number 7 is Baked Corned Beef Hash.
Oven baked version of an old Family Favourite!  Good for a simple supper, or a hearty brunch dish!

 photo SAM_0697_zps4060a63c.jpg 

Surprisingly Number 6 is my recent post of Windfall Crumble Cake. 
It hasn't been on here very long, but it's proved to be very popular, and no wonder!  Moist, buttery, stogged full of fruit and has a delicious crumbly oaty topping!  Perfect with a nice scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream!

 

It's never too early for Number 5 . . . Holiday Danish!
 Flakey croissant dough . . . rich and creamy cheese filling . . . spicy and sweet mincemeat . . . baked until golden brown and then drizzled with a creamy sweet icing drizzle. 

 photo SAM_5681_zpsfb85e813.jpg 

No surprise here, Number 4 is Potato,  Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake. 
A delicious vegetable casserole, using potatoes, onions and cauliflower.   It's like a version of cauliflower cheese without the creamy sauce, but gilded with lots of scrummy cheese.

  

A perfectly autumnal Number 3.  Spicy Plum Chutney.
A deliciously spicy mix of plums, garlic cloves, onions, apples, sultanas, star anise, cardamom pods, sugar and 300ml of the white wine vinegar.  Perfect with cheeses and cold meats.

 

No surprise that its in the top two  Number 2.  Fudge Brownie Pie.
With it's rich brownie base, marshmallow filling and decadent fudge topping, this is a winner all round!  Even the Toddster doesn't turn down a piece of this one! 

SAM_0066 

Drum roll . . . and coming in at Numero Uno . . . Nigel's Hot and Sweet Plum Chutney.
You know if it comes from Nigel Slater it has to be really, REALLY tasty!  And this is.  Not to mention being simple and easy to make!

I'm always surprised when I check to see what the most popular recipes on here are.  Some are expected really, but others, well, who knew they'd be so popular, but then again . . . I have never been known to post any recipe that isn't incredibly tasty!  Enjoy and I'll be back tomorrow with something new and tasty to spoil you with!





9 comments

  1. Everything looks so good, but I think my personal favorite -- especially as it's getting a little chilly is #4. I definitely need to try that. Please, take very good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you've been sick. Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened Marie? I know last winter, I became terribly ill, after eating some undercooked pork in a Mexican restaurant. After a few days of being sick, I went to the ER, but the intern dismissed it as gastroenteritus. Within a few weeks of getting seriously worse, my kidneys were impacted, salmonella had gone undiagnosed. Thankfully a long course of strong antibiotics cured me, but I wasn't back to my old self digestive-wise for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a few heart issues ladies, which have involved some testing and a trip to the ER, etc. Not to worry. Hoping it is sorted soon. I just didn't get any cooking done the past few days is all. Hoping to be back in the saddle today!

    MM that sounds awful. I know how bad gastroenteritis is, as I had a bad bout of that myself not too long ago, but salmonella. Thank goodness it was finally properly diagnosed ro who knows what the impact could have been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohing, aaaaahing and salivating here ! Get well very soon !x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can easily add 10 more to your top ten:)
    Take care..:)x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I hope you're feeling better and you get any more care you need. I made your butterscotch sauce for the first time last night and wow, it's magic how it comes together in the last minute or so. I've been eating it with natural yoghurt (super-yum!), and it's definitely on my list of gift food for other people. I must try the blackcurrant cake; I have to get them frozen from my nearest healthfood shop, but they're my favourite berry and well worth the trek.

    /delurk

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the recipes looked great but since I saw some gorgeous cauliflower at the farm market the other day I think I will try the potato-cauli dish first :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices gals! Angrygreycat, add the pork chops and red cabbage and you have a meal!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!