Apple And Cheddar Scones

Tuesday 8 October 2013



  photo SAM_0968_zps42b94280.jpg


 I think scones have to be one of the most popular of all the quick breads.  Similar to the North American biscuit, but not quite the same.  Typically scones are a bit sweeter than North American Biscuits, not to be confused with cookies!  We may call cookies biscuits over here, but if you go to North American and request a biscuit with your cup of tea you are going to get something like a scone!  Not that that would be disappointing or anything, but  I'd rather dunk a Digestive Biscuit than a scone!

 photo SAM_0969_zps0a8d3dd8.jpg

I have to say I have never bought a scone in a shop that I enjoyed as much as I enjoy the ones I make at home.  Tis true. I admit it.  I may be a bit of a scone snob though . . . and I've never been known to turn one down, shop bought or not.  I'm just saying that homemade ones are infinitely better than any you will find in a shop.

 photo SAM_0978_zps51151374.jpg

There are a few things that you can do to make sure you scones are always light and well risen with straight sides.
  • Handle the dough as little as possible.   Try not to over mix the liquid ingredients into the dry.   You can knead them very gently to bring the dough together, but take care not to over do it, a few gentle turns should do the trick.
  • Pat, don't roll.  I find that patting the dough out gently with my hands yields a much more tender scone.
  • Use a sharp floured cutter to cut them out and use a sharp tapping motion, straight up and down.  Do not twist the cutter, or your scones will be lopsided and raise unevenly.  
  photo SAM_0970_zps68daa283.jpg


There are all kinds of delicious scones available today.  I have posted quite a few tasty versions of the Scone, including my absolute favourite version . . . Maple Walnut.  Today however I wanted to show you a version that is a tiny bit different.

 photo SAM_0972_zps80fa8c5a.jpg

These are like a cross between a savory and a sweet scone.  There is no sugar in them at all . . . but the apple that you grate into the mix does add a bit of sweetness that goes so very well with the strong cheddar that is also in the  mix.

 photo SAM_0973_zps54c6d521.jpg

The result is a delicious scone with a tender wholesome crumb.   I love the melted cheese on the outsides and I can tell you they make a lovely light lunch with a slab of cheddar and some good mango chutney!


 photo SAM_0967_zpsac36624e.jpg

 *Apple and Cheddar Scones*
makes about 8
Printable Recipe

Beautiful scones, moist and tender on the inside and yet crisp on the outside.  Apples and cheese, the perfect combination!

225g of self raising flour (1 2/3 cups)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
50g of unsalted butter, chilled (3 1/2 TBS)
1 tsp dry mustard powder
75g extra mature English cheddar cheese, grated (3/4 of a cup)
1 eating apple, washed and dried
100ml of milk (6 1/2 TBS)

Preheat the oven to  200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Butter a baking sheet and set aside.

Sift the flour into a bowl along with the salt and baking powder.  Drop in the butter and then rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.  Stir in the mustard powder and 2/3 of the cheese.  Grate the apple into the bowl, using the large holes of a box grater.  Discard the core and pips.  Mix well to coat the apple with the flour.  Pour in the milk and mix together with a round bladed knife to make a soft dough.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.  Pat out to about 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut into 8 rounds.  Gather together the scraps and repeat as necessary.  Place onto the baking sheet, leaving some space in between.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over top of them all. 

Bake in the heated oven for 15 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.  Scoop off onto a wire rack to cool.  Serve warm, or cold as desired. 

Note: I like to use a 3 inch round cutter for these.

10 comments

  1. Yummo, I will need to find the time over the weekend to make some of these. I love me a good scone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be a great choice Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I shouldn't have clicked that link here from Oak Cottage.... :-)

    Yum! I adore scones fresh out of the oven. I had to introduce my husband to the joys of a Devonshire Tea as he'd never eaten a scone in his life. Now he loves them, both the big fluffy ones slathered with jam and clotted cream and the more savoury ones I make to accompany soups or stews.

    These sound lovely and we have lots of lovely frshly picked apples right at the moment. Your tips are the same as the ones I learned from my gran. Although at last I've lerarned why my scones are sometimes lopsided. "Do not twist the cutter, or your scones will be lopsided and raise unevenly." Who knew? See, you're never too old to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous scone here! Will be printing it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful! I know they tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they sound lovely, the combo of apple and cheddar is really yummy sounding, thanks for sharing this marie,

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look perfect - crunch outside, fluffy and airy on the inside.
    Never had cheddar w apples.
    Gotta try it.
    Thanks, Marie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinned these! I need to venture into the world of sweet AND savory a bit more. I love cheddar and apples together, so this is the perfect place to start. Besides, its a SCONE. And there's a reason you've never had a store-bought scone you liked as much... because yours are the BEST! And mine... because I use your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. if you are using SELF rising flour, why would u add B-powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because on its own self raising flour doesn't have enough oomph to raise these scones to a nice height which is what you wNt in a scone. In a cake with a light batter maybe, but with a dense dough like a scone dough this works. Seeing is believing. These taste and look great Gracie.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!