Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

Thursday 24 October 2013



Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls) 

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts.  You have never tasted  better pull-apart dinner rolls than these ones. This is an old fashioned yeast rolls recipe that you are sure to fall in love with. If I can make them anyone can! 

I have always despaired of being able to make really good bread and rolls from scratch.  I did manage to do a really easy loaf not to long ago, that was very rustic and that didn't require much in the way of effort and it was really good . . . but my heart has always longed to be able to make really good bread and rolls.  

My ex husband was the bread baker in our family, and he made beautiful bread.  I am sure it was down to his power and strength when it came to kneading.   

His bread always turned out beautifully light and fluffy.  I have despaired of being able to do that for years . . . trying and trying, but only ever with very few exceptions, turning out much more than yeasted door stops.

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

Recently I won a recipe contest on Gourmandize UK and Ireland and this was my prize!  I was so excited when there was a knock on our door last evening and there was the delivery man with my new Kenwood Stand Mixer! 

 I have always wanted a stand mixer . . . my whole cooking life, and that is a very long time.  My mother had a stand mixer and it was a dream of mine to one day have one too.  You can imagine how excited I was to win this.  

It may not be a candy apple red kitchen aid, but I don't care.  This is real and it's mine, all mine!

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

It came with  a blender attachement, a juicer, a food processor, a paddle hook, a whisk and yipee!!  A dough hook, which I was THE most excited about of all.  

I would now be able to knead bread easily and hopefully with success!  No surpise that the very first thing I decided to do  with it was to make some fluffy yeasted rolls!

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

The machine did it's job beautifully!  Could it be possible that I might actually have a yeast roll success story here????  

Well, they say a picture tells a thousand words and I am happy to say that success in this house today smelled like buttery freshly baked yeasted rolls that rose beautifully and came out of the oven looking like the winners that they truly were!

 Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

Soft and fluffy, with a golden brown crust and a lovely light crumb.  I

 don't know what I am more excited about today . . . my prize or the success I had with these lovely rolls!  (adapted from a recipe on the King Arthurs Flour page)   I am so impressed with my results!

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

Don't they look absolutely perfect to you???  They do to me and what's more, they ARE perfect.  

I will make these again and again and I have my new  little silver Kenwood Stand Mixer to thank for it, oh . . . and the Gourmandize people too!  ☺

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

*Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts*
Makes 16 buns  
Soft and fluffy inside with a golden crust.  In short, the perfect dinner roll.

3 1/2 cups strong bread flour (490g)
2 tsp active dried yeast
3 TBS dry milk powder
2 TBS sugar
1 1/2tsp salt
4 TBS softened butter
2/3 cup of lukewarm water (156ml)
1/2 cup lukewarm milk (120ml)
melted butter to brush on top

Stir together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Drop in the butter and the water and milk.  Stir together until you have a soft dough.    Knead, using your hands or a stand mixer, or a bread machine set on the dough cycle, until you have a soft, smooth dough.   Place into an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place to rise for at least an hour, until double in bulk.  Punch the dough down gently and then transfer to a lightly floured work surface.

Divide the dough by cutting in half and then dividing again and again until you have 16 equally sized pieces.  Shape each into a round smooth ball.
Lightly butter a 9 by 15 inch pan,or two round 8 or 9 inch cake tins.   Arrange the balls in the long tin, or place 8 into each of the smaller round tins.  Cover again and set in a warm place to rise for at least another hour, until they are crowded against each other and quite puffed.  Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. 

Uncover the buns and bake for 22 to 24 minutes, until golden brown on top and the edges of the centre bun spring back when lightly touched.  Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter.  Serve warm.

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls)

I have never ever been able to resist a freshly baked bun spread with cold butter.   Can you??   These were just like what my mama used to make.  Call me one very happy camper! 

Old Fashioned Pull-Aparts (Dinner rolls) 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

14 comments

  1. Congratulations Marie, what a fantastic prize! Your rolls look amazingly delicious, I can almost smell them!

    Jane Carrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jane, they are really good rolls! I think I will try them again in a few days time using some whole wheat flour! Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a long term Kenwood Chef user (50 years and only on my second!), I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

    Those rolls look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having this is a dream come true for me Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So deserved:-)
    Yippeeeyeohkayeh:-)
    Rolls look perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your win. What a beautiful prize.

    Those rolls make me want to eat a pan or two of them by myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could almost smell these Marie! What a wonderful prize and I'm so glad that the very firth thing you made with it turned out just the way you've always hoped! Now to get one for myself, it could take a while but I'll get there, and the first thing I'll make will be your bread rolls, just the same as yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely agree with Pat. I would not trade my Kenwood either - it's a fabulous machine as you will find out the more you use it.

    I've always been a little bemused by your failure with yeast baking. I make buns, bread, rolls, pizza dough etc almost daily and they are invariably light and airy, even though I never do anything special. I could never understand why it didn't work for you, but hopefully now these buns were a success, you'll try some more. And let that dough hook do the heavy work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you are enjoying your mixer Marie, congratulations on your perfect rolls and thanks so much again for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! You just can't beat freshly baked bread with a thick layer of salty butter on! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray and congratulations and much rejoicing!! Now you don't have to be afraid of yeast!! *happy dance* I'm thrilled for you, and can't wait to see all the fun you have with your new gadget. You absolutely deserve it! And your rolls truly do look prefect :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever unexpected guests arrived , Mom would say "Let's have some buns and coffee." Hers looked much like yours but she had 11 children so her weekly batch of bread used 30 cups of flour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of bread Donna! But then again when I had a growing family of five, I know how much bread my ex husband used to bake each week, so I can well imagine how much your mother used to make! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!