Pear and Apple Spice Cake

Monday 28 October 2013

  photo SAM_1557_zps3af4203d.jpg  

This is a lovely cake that I always used to make using just apples.   They almost melt into the cake, making it beautifully moist.   The other day I had some pears that I wanted to use as well, and so I used half pears and half apples with the most delightful results!!    

 photo SAM_1559_zps384c6465.jpg

I kicked up the spice a bit.  Normally I use only cinnamon, but pears go so very well with cardamom . . . and nutmeg is a warm spice that goes well with most fruits, and so I added some of each of those.

  photo SAM_1560_zpsc75043c9.jpg

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CAKE.  No, not to look at, it's actually kind of ugly to look at, but flavour-wise, this cake cannot be beat.  It's just gorgeous!    

 photo SAM_1561_zpsb3988744.jpg

I added some toasted walnut pieces for a bit of crunch.  I do like a cake that is interesting and has different bits in it, don't you???  But fear not, if nuts are not your thing, you can easily leave them out, no problem.  Likewise the sultanas.    

 photo SAM_1564_zps9f52e96f.jpg

I had some caramel sauce left from the  other day when I made those pumpkin fritters.  A bit of that warmed up and spooned over top went down a real treat.  It was absolutely perfect with this cake.  It almost tasted like a candy apple cake then . . .   

 photo SAM_1566_zps0db400bf.jpg

Of course, vanilla ice cream would go very well also . . . or custard, for what is icecream but frozen custard anyways.  Oh heck, why not go whole hog and have clotted cream.  Now that would be fantabulous!

 photo SAM_1558_zps07c9b988.jpg
*Pear and Apple Spice Cake*
Makes one large tube cake  

Moist and spicy and stogged full of fruit, raisins and nuts.  Delicious served warm with some caramel sauce.  Feel free to leave out the raisins and nuts if you don't like them.

420g of plain flour, plus more for dusting the pan (3 cups)
354ml of vegetable oil (1 1/2 cups)
380g of granulated sugar (2 cups)
3 large free range eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla paste
3 cups of peeled and thinly sliced pears and apples (I used cox's apples and conference pears
from our own trees) (355g)
115g of chopped toasted walnuts (1 cup)
150g of sultana raisins (1 cup)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Grease a 9 inch tube pan with some shortening and dust lightly with flour, shaking out any excess.  Set aside.

Sift together the flour, spices, salt and soda.  Set aside.  Put the oil and sugar into a large mixing bowl.   Beat together with an electric mixer, or a stand mixer (using the paddle blade) for five minutes, until thick.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time and continue to beat until creamy.   Stir the dry ingredients into the batter.  Fold in the fruit and nuts.   Spread this batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top over.   Bake for 1 hour and fifteen minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Allow to cool completely in the pan before turning out.   Serve at room temperature with or without ice cream and some caramel sauce, if desired.

 photo SAM_1423_zpsd0c0658f.jpg

Speaking of cakes, it's always nice to have a nice tin to store all of your baked goodies in.  I was recently sent this lovely cake tin from  Rex London.  I fell right in love with it.  This Three Tier Red and Cream Cake Tin has a lovely vintage look which I just adore.

  photo SAM_1424_zps8988aa9e.jpg

Made from sturdy enamel coated tin, all three compartments are ample in size and close air tight to help keep things fresh.  It would make a wonderful Christmas gift for that baker in your life who also adores anything vintage looking.  It sells for £34.95.  Its a beautiful way to keep three separate baked goodies stored properly without taking up a lot of counter space!  It gets a 10 out of 10 from me!  I love the colours and the vintage look of it.

 photo 24756-hi_zpsce1acef0.jpg

I was also sent this adorable set of 12 Christmas Carnival Mini Loaf  Baking Cases, also from  Rex London. Made from sturdy card and beautifully decorated in a vintage Christmas images they are the perfect size for individual loaves, perfectly sized for gift giving.   I would buy three sets and then bake three different loafs in each set and then present  12 lucky elderly neighbors and friends or singletons with a gift of one of each, wrapped and tied up in a pretty bow for the holidays.   I can't think of one person that would turn that down.

 photo SAM_1429_zpsd7928b3d.jpg

They held up very well in baking without discolouring or going all floppy.  How cute is that?   These are also very reasonably priced at only £1.95 for the set of 12, which I think is great!  They also have alot of other types of baking cases for the holidays as well as a whole array of different items in the Christmas Carnival Design!

Many thanks to  Rex London for sending me these!!  I highly recommend both!

Note:  Although I was sent these to try, any and all opinions are my own.

8 comments

  1. THis sounds delicious. My mum used to make pear and apple pies which started on the the same way - she didn't have enough apples one so made up the difference with pears. It was one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious Rowan! I do the same thing, often adding a crumble topping instead of a top crust! So scrummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous cake Marie - LOVE the spices and that sauce!!! YUM
    Love the cake tin:)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tin.. be still my ♥
    Cute cute cute and the little baking boxes.
    Again so well deserved Marie!
    Seems like a peach of a company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks WOW.

    I love your new cake tin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks wonderful! And I love your cake tin!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 cups of fruit, what's that in grammes please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be about 355g of chopped apple and pear combined KT.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!