Roasted Root Vegetable Pizza

Tuesday 22 October 2013



 photo SAM_1290_zpsa3b1ed74.jpg

Since I was ill in September I haven't been able to look at a pizza.  Pizza was always one of my favourite things . . . it makes me sad that it isn't any longer.   I can't get enthused for Chicken Parm either.  I had made Chicken Parm Enchiladas that day and well, you know.   I haven't even been able to look at the photographs since!   It may be a while before you get to see those!

 photo SAM_1291_zpsd01f75e1.jpg

I don't know if it is the combination of the sauce and the cheese and meat or what, but it's been a no go for about a month now . . . until today.  Today I decided to create a delicious roasted root vegetable pizza, with a whole wheat crust!

 photo SAM_1293_zpsc37c6279.jpg

All I can say is wowsa!  You get a nice thick crust, not unlike a foccacia . . . and then all of those sweetly caramlized root vegetables nestled amongst not one, not two, but THREE cheeses!

  photo SAM_1294_zps27e6d5eb.jpg

Just look at all of that delicious scrumminess . . . butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, red onions . . . roasted until sticky sweet with some salt, pepper and olive oil . . . nestled on top of that crisp and nutty flavoured crust . . . beneath a blanket of cheese.

 photo SAM_1298_zps20913602.jpg

A sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves lends an herby touch, which altogether made for a very tasty pizza if I don't say so myself!  I do hope you will give it a try!  I don't think anyone will be disappointed!  Even the Toddster loved this and he's not a pizza fan at all!

 photo SAM_1289_zpsd1028f4d.jpg


*Roasted Root Veggie Pizza*
Serves 4
A deliciously different pizza with a thick wholewheat crust, topped by sweetly caramelized roasted root veggies and cheese.  Fabulous!

For the crust:
280g of plain flour
70g of whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 TBS rapid rise or bread machine yeast
225ml of hot water (1 cup)
2 TBS olive oil

For the toppings:
1 small butternut squash
1 medium parsnip
1 medium carrot
2 small red onions
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
olive oil
120g of grated emmenthal cheese (1 cup)
120g grated strong cheddar cheese (1 cup)
65g of grated mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
45g of finely grated Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 TBS fresh thyme leaves

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.  Have ready a large baking tray.

Peel the butternut squash.  Cut in half and remove the seeds.  Slice the bulbous end into wedges and cut the remainder into 1/2 inch cubes.  Peel the parsnip and cut into wedges.  Peel the carrot and cut into wedges.  Peel the onions and cut each one ito six wedges.  Place them onto the baking tray.  Toss with a bit of olive oil and season with some salt and pepper.   Roast in the oven until cooked through and beginning to caramelize, 20 to 25 minutes.

 photo SAM_1301_zpsfde61542.jpg

While you are roasting the vegetables make the crust.   Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl  Add the hot water and olive oil.  Stir togerher well, then tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for five minutes.  Turn the bowl over top and allow to stand for 10 minutes.   At the end of that time, pop your pizza stone if you are using one into the oven.   

 photo SAM_1299_zps05f15966.jpg

I roll the dough out onto a piece of baking parchment to a large circle the circumfrance of my pizza stone.  Prick it all over with a fork.  (If you don't have a pizza stone you can use a preheated large baking sheet.)  Slip the piece of parchment wih the rolled out dough onto the heated pizza stone, baking tray.  Mix together all the cheeses.  Sprinkle half onto the crust.  Top with the roasted vegetables and cover with the remaining cheese.  Sprinkle with the thyme.   Bake in the heated oven until the crust is well risen, browned, crisp on the bottom and the cheese has melted nicely.   Cut into wedges to serve.

6 comments

  1. We had pizza last night..this one looks divine..Have you received your KA?
    Forgot to say at your other site of course I hope all is well w/ the results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean....we just get tired of some food and won't eat it for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday is our pizza night and this one will be on the menu this week. It looks delicious.

    A lot of people really look down their noses at root vegetables, but they make lovely, inexpensive meals if one uses their imagination. You once posted a fabulous roasted root vegetable and blue cheese bake that gets rave reviews every time I serve it. In the end, I've had to translate it to Swedish to give to people who ask for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How yummy I will definitely try your recipe. Many thanks for sharing.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has got to be the prettiest pizza I have ever seen. Enough said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pizza! It has to be home-made though (or in my case Ome-Made!). Loving the roasted veg idea might have to give this one a go. Lovely pictures too, looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!