Spicy Baked Chicken

Monday 28 October 2013

 photo SAM_1575_zpsb2dc747f.jpg

We love chicken in this house and it is a meat which I serve often as it is not only affordable but something which readily adapts itself to many flavours and cooking methods.  

 photo SAM_1579_zps54ea608b.jpg


Sometimes I stuff it and roast it whole, which is very, very nice.  Not to mention you then have the leftovers to turn into delicious casseroles and lets not forget a tasty soup from the bones.

 photo SAM_1580_zps6fbf4133.jpg

More often than not though, I like to use pieces, either breasts or leg quarters, sometimes boneless, and at others bone in . . .any way you cut it, chicken is our favourite protein of choice.

 photo SAM_1581_zps78d0db3e.jpg

Today I chose to use chicken leg quarters, which I rubbed with a spice mix, drizzled with olive oil and then simply roasted in the oven until the skin was nicely crisped, whilst leaving the flesh tender and juicy.  It's one of the Toddster's favourite meals, served up with potato of some sort and vegetables.  You can't go wrong.  Kiddos love this too!  And best of all it's quick, easy, economical and tasty!

 photo SAM_1578_zps8cc459d8.jpg


*Spicy Baked Chicken Quarters*
Serves 6

Simple.   Chicken thigh and leg quarters, rubbed in a spicy rub, drizzled with olive oil and then baked until they crispy tender and tasty tasty!  

6 chicken leg quarters (thigh and drums)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
(If you use onion and garlic salt, omit any other salt)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
2 TBS olive oil
Hot sauce to finish (optional)
Parmesan Cheese (optional)  


The day before you want to cook your chicken pieces, remove them from their packaging and place them into a baking dish, leaving space between each one and place them in the refrigerator to dry overnight.  This helps to ensure a nice dry surface for the spices to cling to.   It's not absolutely necessary to do this, but I do it this way.  You also get nice crisp skin.  Delicious! 
 The next day when you are ready to cook them remove your chicken from the fridge.  Using a sharp knife cut several slashes into the meat on the diagonal.   Mix together all of your herbs and spices and rub this mixture into the chicken pieces, coating them well and equally.  Allow to stand for half an hour before proceeding.

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.  

Drizzle the chicken pieces with the olive oil and then put them into the heated oven.  Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, flipping them occasionally with tongs, until the meat easily separates from the bone and any juices run clear.  The skin should be nice and crisped and the meat tender and moist.  If you are wanting extra zip you can brush them with some hot sauce or sprinkle lightly with a bit of finely grated Parmesan cheese prior to serving.
Note:  This recipe is easy to adapt to other flavours.  Wanting a Mexican feel???  Try combining mild chili powder along with the salt, pepper, onion, garlic.  Change out the mustard powder to ground cumin and add some coriander flakes instead of the marjoram.  For an Indian feel, leave out the paprika and herbs and use ground tumeric, ground coriander, ground cumin and ground cardamom along with a touch of cinnamon and cloves.

7 comments

  1. really delicious Marie - I know this would be hit in my house so I'm bookmarking it - thanks for another great recipe!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken too..so versatile..and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me want to go buy a chicken and rush home to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazingly delicious! And one a low-carber like me can even enjoy! I look forward to trying it, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramona, I think you SHOULD buy a chicken and make this!

    Buttoni, I hope you do try it. I am sure you will love it. Making the cuts into the chicken helps to get the flavour right into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this recipe!
    Recently found your blog. I'm originally from Australia but currently in Germany until December. Can't wait to get back to my kitchen at home to try them out!
    I make a very similar version at home, except I squeeze a lemon over it before cooking.
    The gravy you can make from the residue to to.die.for.
    Look forward to reading through some more of your posts and getting excellent ideas. Finally, a blog with someone who cooks how I like to eat!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, welcome! So nice to hear from you. I have been to Germany several times and loved it, whilst Australia remains but a dream. One day I hope to go there. Your idea of squeezing some lemon over top before baking sounds fabulous! Scrummo! I'm going to try that next time. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!