Lemon Curd Self Saucing Pudding

Thursday 7 November 2013


  photo SAM_1713_zpsa489de51.jpg

I do so like to spoil the missionaries whenever we have them over for tea.   Usually I try to give them a little taste of home (if they are from North America).  I don't normally do roast dinners, because I figure they get enough of them each week, as most people who have the missionaries in for tea will try to give them a pretty decent meal.  With me they get that, but with a North American twist.

 photo SAM_1715_zpsd20f0e49.jpg

I usually try to make them a delicious pudding as well.  I also try not to serve them the same thing twice.  I wouldn't want them to think I am a one hit wonder!  Yes, they do get spoiled in our house, but how can I not, when what they do is such a wonderful thing!

 photo SAM_1716_zpsd4c7483b.jpg

Yesterday when we had one set of the Elders over I made these delicious Lemon Curd Self Saucing Puddings.  I love lemon anything, and I always assume everyone else does too.  And if Lemon Curd is involved, I love it even more!  (I have a really super recipe here. )

 photo SAM_1717_zps91b637d2.jpg

The Toddster he is not so fond of lemon or chocolate puddings.  (I know!!  He just ain't human!)  But he suffers through them.  That is his gift to the missionaries!

 photo SAM_1718_zps237667bd.jpg

These are baked individually in their own little pots and are so easy to make.  You just line the bottom of each pot with some delicious good quality lemon curd, homemade if you have it, and then spoon a quick and easy batter on top.

 photo SAM_1719_zps5acb8d8e.jpg  

This is followed by a quick and simple not lemon syrup which gets poured over top.  Baked in the oven you end up with a delicious fluffy cake type of pudding with a lemon puddle bottom.   I like to punch holes into it while it's still warm and pour in some nice double cream.

 photo SAM_1720_zpsee4bd59f.jpg

Don't judge me!  It's dessert!  We don't have dessert unless we have company.  It's a treat!  So there!  

 photo SAM_1712_zps14bcc27e.jpg   

*Lemon Curd Self Saucing Pudding*
Serves 6 

A lovely lemon pudding that sauces itself.  


210g of self raising flour (1 1/2 cups)
145g of caster sugar (3/4 cup)
50g butter melted (3 1/2 TBS)
1 TBS finely grated lemon zest
80ml lemon juice (1/3 cup)
175ml of milk (3/4 cup)
165g of lemon curd (3/4 cup)
double cream to serve  

For the sauce:
120ml of boiling water (1/2 cup)
50g caster sugar (1/4 cup)
2 TBS lemon juice  

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  You will need six 225ml/1 cup sized ramekins, lightly buttered.  

Beat the flour, sugar, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk together until smooth.  Divide the lemon curd between the ramekins and spread out in the bottom of them.  Divide the batter between them and smooth over top of the lemon curd.   Mix together the boiling water, sugar and lemon juice for the sauce and then pour an equal amount over the top of each ramekin. 


Bake in the heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, just until set.   Serve warm with some cream for pouring.




7 comments

  1. Sounds yummy, just wished the wife like lemons. However, my boys do. Next time they come visit I'll have to try my hand at your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this as it has no eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love anything lemony and self saucing puddings are wonderful and homey, reminding me so much of my gran, who made what she called "Lemon Delicious Pudding" when we came to visit.

    Funnily enough I did make a cheat's version of something similar to this in the microwave last week (this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5598/fastestever-lemon-pudding). It was a last minute thing for unexpected guests and they liked the taste, though I felt the pudding was a bit dense. I'll have to try yours as it looks so light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lemon Curd! This looks awesome. If I were to make a big one rather than 6 small ones how long would I need to bake it for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicola, I would go for a slightly longer time and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes. I would check it at 30 minutes however, just to make sure. It does not need to be browned, just set. If it is browned then it is probably over done. One of mine that was in the back right side of the oven was beginning to brown, which tells me that corner of my oven is probably hotter than the rest of the oven! For the gooiest lemon sauce, you will want to go for less time rather than more! Hope this makes sense! let me know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!