Salsa & Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken

Wednesday 10 December 2014

Salsa & Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken




One of the challenges I enjoy from receiving my Degustabox every month is coming up with unique and delicious ways to use the contents!  My mother always said that was one thing I excelled at!  


Taking whatever ingredients were thrown at me and coming up with something delicious!   I think you will agree that this month I came up with something incredibly delicious.



kettle chips






I received a packet of the Salsa & Mesquite chips and I decided they would be the perfect ingredient to use in this months Degusta Box recipe!  (I forgot to take a photograph of the bag of crisps with the chicken, sorry!)




Salsa & Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken





Who doesn't love fried chicken?  Not me, that's who!  I adore the stuff, and if I can cut down the fat and hassle a tiny bit by oven frying it, so much the better.  



I know that any calories saved by deep frying will have been absorbed by the use of  potato chips in the coating, but  . . .  meh!  It's Christmas!

Salsa & Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken




This is sooooo easy to make as well. It's as simple as dipping the chicken in egg and milk and then shaking it in a bag of crush potato chips.   Onto the baking tray  . . .




Salsa & Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken






And in due course you are rewarded with the most delicious oven fried chicken ever!  Of course you can use any flavour of  potato chips you wish, but these Salsa & Mesquite ones added an extra dose of spice and flavour to this delightfully tasty chicken!  



It was sooooooooo GOOD!  Tasty!  Tasty!

Salsa & Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken




*Salsa and Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken*
Serves 4 to 6
Potato crisps/chips make the perfect crispy topping for oven fried chicken. I have used the new Kettle Cooked Salsa and Mesquite potato chips here for a nice and smoky tex mex flavour, but you can use whatever flavour of potato chips you wish!  They're all decadently gorgeous!  


1 large free range eggs, beaten with 2 TBS milk
150g bag of potato chips, crushed (about 2 cups crumbs)
8 pieces of chicken thighs/drumsticks
salt and black pepper to taste
cooking spray/mister    


Salsa & Mesquite Oven Fried Chicken  


Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil.  Spray lightly with cooking spray.  


Place the beaten egg and milk into a bowl and the potato chip crumbs into a bag for shaking.   Roll the chicken pieces in the egg/milk and then shake them in the bag of potato chips to coat.  Place presentation side down on the baking tray.  Spritz with some cooking spray.    Discard any beaten egg mixture and leftover crisp crumbs.  (Alternately, save the remaining crumbs and sprinkle them over the chicken when you flip it over halfway through the baking time.  You must still discard the egg.)
Bake for 20 minutes.  Flip them over and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.  

Note:  I did drumsticks and thighs. Breasts would not require the same amount of cooking time.  I would cut it in approximately half the time.  Chicken is done, once again, when the juices run clear.

  






2 comments

  1. I don't think we have Degustabox (sp. ?) here in the States, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I used to love watching Iron Chef America, where the chefs were given one main ingredient to make several dishes with. Oh, the creativity! The suspense!

    Your recipe sounds fabulous and I'll definitely try it. I make oven fried chicken with a combo of flour and cornmeal to give it a crust. The potato chips sound so yummy and crunchy! Thank you! :)

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have a show similar to that over here as well Blondie, called ready steady cook. There were always two guests who each brought in a bag of ingredients and the celebrity guests had to cook what they could from the bag. I used to love watching it! I think you'll enjoy the chicken. I thought it was really tasty! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!