Deb's Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sunday 25 January 2015

 photo cookies_zpsar38znfn.jpg

It must be about twenty years ago now, but it seems like just yesterday, I lived across from a lovely lady caled Debbie.   We shared a mutual love of crafts and cooking and became fast friends.  It broke my heart when I had to move away.  All of our children are grown up now and we are both grandmothers.  During those years we lived across the street from each other we were pretty inseparable.  Although we are still in touch, we are not as close as we once were.  Sometimes I really miss her.


  photo DSCN0153_zpszq8gq5ny.jpg

This is her Banana Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe which she shared with me way back when.   Todd just loves them.  My kids always loved them too.   I never bake them but what I don't think of Debbie and smile in my heart at all the good times we shared.   They are not a crisp cookie, but a soft cookie . . .  almost like a little cakey pillow . . .

 photo DSCN0154_zpssayq7ksl.jpg

With just enough banana flavour . . .  and chocolate chips as to make them very moreish.   You will find that you cannot eat just one.  You will find yourself reaching out for just . . .  one . . . more.  You will find that they don't last long at all . . .  simply because you will find . . . that nobody will be able to leave them alone.

 photo DSCN0156_zpsikzwg5qw.jpg

And that . . .  my friends  . . .  is what a good cookie is all about.

 photo DSCN0152_zps9hlptshc.jpg


*Deb's Banana and Chocolate Chip Cookies*
Makes 36
 

Cake-like, moist, delicious and hard to leave alone.  You will want to lock these away.   
 

140g of plain flour (1 cup)
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
75g of butter, softened (1/3 cup)
100g of sugar
1 medium free range egg
180g of semi sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1 medium ripe banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)



 photo DSCN0157_zpsmxczzavl.jpg

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Line several baking sheets with baking paper and spray with nonstick spray. 


Cream the butter and sugar together until light.   Beat in the egg and vanilla.   Beat in the mashed bananas.  Sift together the flour, baking powder,soda and salt. Stir this into the creamed mixture until completely combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.    Drop by the tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets. 


Bake for 9 to 12 minutes until nicely puffed and just beginning to brown.  Remove from the oven and let stand on the baking sheets for about five minutes before scooping off onto wire racks to finish cooling completely.  Store in an airtight container.

6 comments

  1. There are friends..neighbours..that never leave our heartfelt memories..
    I know some of mine don't even tanks how often I have thought of them over the past 60 years.
    Indelible memories.
    I hang onto all of them..
    Bet these cookies are grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Monique. I have moved so many times through the years and made some very good friend every place I have lived. The cookies are fabulous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie I love these chip cookies!! Look perfect!
    hugs!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gloria, you are so kind to say so. Love you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. After baking some banana, cranberry & walnut muffins some days ago, I still had bananas left that needed to be used up. So I decided to give these cookies a try. I was not disappointed and glad I doubled the recipe! My boyfriend almost ate the cookies faster than they were baking...
    A delicious recipe if you (once again) bought too many bananas. Or maybe the reason why you do so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so happy they were enjoyed Verena! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed! I always buy extra bananas because I love to bake with them. Not overly fond of them raw, but put them into a loaf or cookie and I am in like Flyn! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!