Frisco Spagetti Bake

Monday 5 January 2015

 photo SAM_8714_zpsbe36efea.jpg

I just can't help myself.  Periodically I just have to do it.  I must indulge my need for pasta.   Most of the time I try to cook things that I think the Toddster will enjoy, but . . . every so often my pasta loving heart just had to be pampered.   A gals got to do what a gals got to do.   I think he is getting sort of used to it now . . .  well he doesn't complain as much as he used to at any rate.

 photo SAM_8715_zps6b75676b.jpg


He's always after me to cut back on the grocery bill and economically speaking, pasta is a bit of a money saver, so all I usually have to do is remind him of that and he shuts up.  Problem solved!

 photo SAM_8716_zps7bf23fe5.jpg

Really, there isn't much to complain about here.  This is a really delicious casserole that makes good use of store cupboard ingredients such as half a packet of spaghetti noodles,  tomato passata (sauce) and tomato soup, along with a can of creamed corn.  


 photo SAM_8719_zps0ddb8f79.jpg

With a small onion, half a green pepper and some fresh mushrooms, as well as two rashers of bacon, some cheese and seasoning, it all combines together to make a delicious casserole that is not only filling but which feeds quite a few people.  I usually divide it into two dishes and freeze one.

 photo SAM_8718_zps73a78d49.jpg

It also makes a great casserole to take to pot luck and covered dish suppers.  The original recipe (from Sunset magazines) called for tinned mushrooms.  I hate tinned mushrooms.  I have adapted it to use fresh mushrooms which taste so much better and have a much nicer texture.

 photo SAM_8720_zps88895659.jpg

It's not much to look at, but don't let that fool you into thinking it isn't delicious.   It's probably one of the most delicious casserole bakes you could ever ask for.  All you need on the side is some crusty bread and a nice salad and you have a really delicious meal that your family will love.  And it won't break the bank.

 photo SAM_8726_zpsaf727bb5.jpg


*Frisco Spaghetti Bake*
Makes 6 to 8 servings

This is a baked dish which is very popular at pot lucks and is one of the first dishes to empty.  It uses store cupboard ingredients. It's delicious! 

1/2 pound of spaghetti cooked in salted water, drained and rinsed
60ml salad oil (1/4 cup)
400g tin of cream style corn (16 ounce tin)
2 slices of streaky bacon, diced
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 small punnet of closed cup mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
1/2 medium green pepper chopped
225g of tomato passata (1 cup tomato sauce)
1/2 tin of condensed tomato soup (the type you need to add water to)
salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic Italian seasoning
225g of medium cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)


 photo SAM_8723_zpsa1fbceae.jpg


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.   Set aside.
Mix the cooked spaghetti with the oil and cream style corn.   Set aside.

 photo SAM_8722_zps40b221d3.jpg


Heat a large skillet.  Add a swirl of oil.  Add the bacon, onions and green pepper.  Cook until the bacon is crisp.  Add the sliced mushrooms.  Cook until the mushrooms are wilted and beginning to brown.  Stir this mixture into the spaghetti along with passata, tomato soup, seasoning and salt and pepper.  Stir in half the cheese.  Pour this into the prepared baking dish and smooth out.   Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until bubbling, heated through the cheese is melted on top.  Serve  hot.



6 comments

  1. Marie, I'm a pasta fan, too, and I can eat that entire casserole. I had great ravioli last night and it was such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol! I could not live without indulging my love of pasta every now and again. I am a carbaholic I think! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love pastat too..on the menu once a week I would think..almost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a lot of meat in this Monique, but the cheese makes up for it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I see pasta show up on your blog post for the day, I get a chuckle because right away I think of Todd. Haaa! I think this looks so yummy! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha Valerie, I know! Poor Todd!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!