Spiced Butternut Soup

Thursday 15 January 2015

 photo SAM_2625_zps676eb474.jpg

Brrr.... I think today must have been the coldest day so far this winter.  I just can't seem to get warm.  This calls for a nice hot pot of soup!  A delicious soup that will warm the bones.  A warm bowl of  soup on a hot winter's day is like a hug from heaven, don't you think?

  photo SAM_2623_zps6dc23467.jpg

I just love thick vegetable soups.  They tick all the boxes for me.  They're smooth and silky.   Rich without being high in fat and calories and they're delicious . . .  I think they are at any rate.

 photo SAM_2626_zps5b1f54e0.jpg

I especially love this fabulous soup made with butternut squash.  I think butternut squash is my favourite of all the winter squashes.  It has a natural sweetness and beautiful texture.   I love it roasted and mashed  . . . and I adore it in soups.

 photo SAM_2627_zps6470d612.jpg

This soup has butternut squash  (of course) and onion  . . .  and a bit of a kick from crushed lazy chillies and some cayenne.  You can adjust the amount to your own tastes.  I tend to use a lesser amount rather than a larger amount.  I don't like my food to be too spicy.  There is also garlic and a bit of sherry.   A few tablespoons of cream add some richness without adding too much fat or calories.

  photo SAM_2629_zps976e6648.jpg

I like to add a little bit of a crunch with some tasty toasty cheese croutes on top  . . .  with a few pumpkin seeds for additional texture and colour.  All in all . . . this is a fabulous soup that I hope you will want to try and enjoy!

 photo SAM_2633_zpsfe6fc6f4.jpg


*Siced Butternut Soup*
with
Cheese and Pumpkin Seed Croutes
Serves 4

So simple and yet it tastes as if you worked really hard on it.  The hardest part is peeling and chopping the butternut squash!  

50g butter (2 TBS)
1kg of butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped (2.2 pounds)
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 TBS sherry
900ml of chicken or vegetable stock (3 3/4 cups)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp lazy chilies
2 TBS double cream 

For the croutes:
1 medium sized French baguette, sliced
115g softened butter (1/2 cup)
1 small clove of garlic, minced
1 TBS parsley flakes
4 TBS grated strong cheddar cheese
4 TBS coarsely grated Parmesan Cheese
a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds 
 photo SAM_2631_zpsc4e08e2f.jpg

Heat the butter in a large heavy based saucepan.  Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes to soften without browning.  Add the garlic and squash and cook for a few minutes longer until quite fragrant, again without browning.   Add the stock, sherry, cayenne pepper, salt, chilies,  and bay leaves.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the squash is very tender. 

Remove the bay leaves and discard.  Blend the soup, either using an immersion blender or a regular blender until smooth.  Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.  Stir in the cream.  

Make the croutes while the soup is cooking.  Cut the bread into 1 inch thick slices.  Toast them on both sides under the grill.  Cream together the cheeses, butter and parsley flakes.   Spread an equal amount of this onto each slice of bread.  Sprinkle with a few toasted pumpkin seeds and then pop back under the grill until golden and bubbling.

Divide amongst 4 heated bowls and top each with a few croutes.  Pass the remainder at the table.

8 comments

  1. Aww Marie look delicious!
    I love soups every season:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gloria! I much prefer them in Winter over Summer, but soup is always welcome at my table!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, I'd like to say I really enjoy reading your lovely blog and digesting your gorgeous recipes and usually try to pop by every day to see what temptations there are. Unfortunately I'm currently on a healthy eating/low calorie diet (boo!) so am therefore unable to try lots of your delicious recipes at the moment, however, hopefully once I reach my goal (1 stone to go!) I can indulge a little once in a while!

    I've been looking for lots of soup recipes lately (brilliant for diets!) and especially butternut squash as I have one that needs using up in the fridge. I'm going to make this but will halve the ingredients as my husband doesn't like BNS in any way, shape or form (I know, he's odd!) and omit the cream so will just have to eat it all myself ;)! I wouldn't have thought to add sherry but think I have some in the cupboard so will definitely include it if so. I notice you also posted a leek and potato soup recipe recently which I made yesterday as it's my husband's fave, although not your version I'm afraid, but will try yours next time.

    I also enjoyed your stifado recipe which reminded me that I haven't made it in a while and with this cold spell we're currently having, think I might make one this coming week. I've eaten it many times in Greece as it's probably one of my fave Greek dishes alongside kleftiko and souvlaki and hope you get to someday too - it ALWAYS tastes better on a sunny Greek island for some reason!

    Keep up the great work Marie!! xx

    PS - Sorry for the very lengthy post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your lovely comment Victoria! I do have so,e healthy options in my recipes as well as lots of lovely salads! Kudos to you on your weight loss! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love soups in summer's night dear, especially of pumpkin or carrots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then you are in luck Gloria! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're very welcome Marie and many thanks on my weight loss too. Unfortunately, I love most baked goods (who doesn't??) which makes things a tad difficult! However, today I'm making an exception and baking your lovely (and super easy!) lemon drizzle cake especially for my daughter who is flying home tonight for the weekend as lemon drizzle is her favourite.

    Thanks Marie, I've looked at some of your healthier recipes/salads and will give them a try sometime, although will probably wait until the spring for the latter as this colder weather just makes me crave warming comfort foods ;).

    Enjoy the rest of your day xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your weekend with your daughter Victoria! I know what you mean about winter and comfort foods. You just want stodgy don't you? xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!