Banana and Sticky Date Muffins

Monday 16 February 2015


 photo Muffins_zpskxal4o6z.jpg

I ended up with a few bananas today that needed using up pronto, and as I am a person who doesn't like to waste anything I decided to make some muffins with them. That way we could keep some for ourselves and I could take a few over to our elderly friend Doreen . . .




These aren't just any banana muffin though. These are Banana and Sticky Date Muffins! Scrummo!!



Yep, delicious banana muffins stogged full of lovely sticky dates . . . that get all scrummy and sticky toffee like . . .



Buttery and wonderfully moist from the banana, and topped with a bit of crunch from a tasty brown sugar drizzle.



You could add chopped toasted walnuts or pecans if you wanted to, which would be a lovely addition and give some meaty crunch to go along with all the sticky datedness!



These went down a real treat with a hot cuppa about 11 am. Oh, I do so love the tradition of Elevensies, don't YOU?



* Banana and Sticky Date Muffins*
Makes 12 large muffins
Printable Recipe

Moist and sticky delicious, crammed full of dates and topped with a brown sugar glaze! What's not to like!

200g of plain flour (2 cups) sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
172g of butter, softened (3/4 cup)
132g of soft light brown sugar (2/3 cup packed)
2 large free range eggs
3 really ripe bananas, peeled and mashed well
1 tsp rum extract
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
75g chopped dates (1/2 cup)

For the glaze:
100g soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS hot water

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Line a large sized muffin tins with paper liners, or butter well and dust with flour. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour and baking powder. Place the butter and brown sugar into a bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the flour mixture. Stir the run and vanilla into the bananas and stir this into the batter, until well incorporated. Stir in the dates. Drop by heaped spoonfuls into the lined muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until risen, lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the centre of one comes out clean!

Stir together the brown sugar, vanilla and hot water until smooth. Drizzle over top of the warm muffins, allowing it to soak in. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.

10 comments

  1. Thank you Sue! They're pretty moreish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bananas and Dates go really well together Monique! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I think I would add some walnuts. I have a question--if you have a snack at 11:00, what time do you have lunch? In America, we typically have a snack at 10:00 and lunch at noon.

    Thanks for all of your yummy recipes.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typically here lunch is from between 1 and 2. A lot of our local shops are closed for that hour. The smaller ones anyways. I think walnuts would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound delicious next time I have some spare banana's I shall give this a go as I already have the dates. Did you get my email Marie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I did get an e-mail Wendi. ???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made these muffins and they are delicious! I wish America had elevenses and would take up drinking tea. They don't know what's good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha Barbara! So glad you enjoyed!xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!