Chelsea Buns

Sunday 1 February 2015

 photo chelsea buns 1_zpsggwdclrz.jpg

Normally at the weekend, I like to do some baking that takes a bit more effort than what I usually get up to during the week.  I'm not a really big fan of yeast baking, but I am a huge fan of Chelsea Buns . . .  and the shop bought ones are usually so disappointing, so this weekend I decided to try to make my own with excellent results, using a recipe I got from a National Trust baking book.  They are excellent sources of traditional recipes.

 photo chelsea buns 3_zpswe8lzrjc.jpg

Chelsea is an area of London which is well known for a few things . . .  the Chelsea Flower Show each Spring, the Chelsea Pensioners, it's posh Night Life, the Sloane Rangers . . .  and these lovely buns. The Chelsea bun is a type of currant bun that was first created in the 18th century at the Bun House in Chelsea, an establishment favoured by Hanoverian royalty which was demolished in 1839.

 photo chelsea buns 5_zpsonhqn6fj.jpg

I like them because they are stogged full of lovely dried fruits and candied peel.  They are quite similar to a cinnamon roll, but I think they are much better than cinnamon rolls.

 photo chelsea buns 4_zpsusan5joh.jpg
 They make the perfect teatime treat, sliced and buttered.  I like to warm them a bit.   They go down really well with a hot drink.  I am usually quite intimidated by yeast doughs, but these went together quite easily and they tasted eons better than any I have ever bought ready made.  Probably because they were fresh!

  photo chelsea buns 2_zpsmiuozmsa.jpg

*Chelsea Buns*
Makes 9

These buns were originally made and sold in the Old Chelsea Bun House, in Pimlico, London.  Dense and fruity and great served warm and buttered with a nice hot cuppa. 

225g of strong white bread flour, sifted (1 1/2 cups plus 2 TBS)
6.25g of dried yeast (1 packet)
1 tsp caster sugar
125ml of warm milk (1/2 cup)
15g of lard, softened (generous TBS)
pinch salt
1 medium free range egg, beaten
50g of butter, melted (1/4 cup)
50g of raisins (1/3 cup)
50g currants (1/3 cup)
50g sultanas (1/3 cup)
25g of mixed candied peel (1/4 cup)
50g of soft light brown sugar (1/4 cup)
honey to glaze 


  photo chelsea buns 7_zps4a1yhunn.jpg  


Grease an 8 inch round tin.   Put 50g (about 1/3 cup) of the flour into a bowl##/s.  Add the yeast, suar and milk.  Mix to a smooth batter and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes until frothy.    Drop the lard into the remaining flour and rub it in.  Add the salt, the yeast mixture and the beaen egg.  Mix to a soft dough.  Tip out onto a lightly floured board.   Kneat for about 5 minutes, until really smooth.   Place into a buttered clean bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth and allow to stand in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size. 


 photo chelsea buns 6_zpstgomruy3.jpg 

Knead again on a lightly floured board and then roll out to a 9 by 12 inch rectangle.  Brush the surface with the melted butter.   Sprinkle the dried fruit, candied peel and soft brown sugar evenly over top, leaving a narrow edge all the way around.  Roll up like a Swiss Roll (Jelly Roll)  (Roll from the long side.)  Brush the edges with water and seal carefully.   Cut into nine equal pieces and place the rolls, cut side up,  in the prepared tin.  Recover and leave in a warm place for a further half hour until well risen. 

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 6.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown.   Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.  Brush the tops with honey while they are still warm.   To serve, pull apart and eat warm or cold, with or without butter.

10 comments

  1. Memory Lane again! I remember my aunt making these in her Aga, in the days when Agas were only in use by real farmers' wives. She would bake them up on bread making days (twice a week)in the winter and every one of the farm hands would find an excuse to be in the kitchen at 4p.m. for a cup of tea and bun.

    My cousin and I would hide under the table or behind the settle, giggling over the sometimes silly excuses for being there that the men came up with. One even once said he'd come to borrow sugar.....to make the cows a nice hot cup of sugared tea, presumably.

    The other treats they especially loved were German buns (more often called Belgian buns since WW2, but my aunt was a traditionalist and said it wasn't the German bakers' fault that their politicians were as stupid as ours.) When they were on the menu, we enjoyed watching the men lick the icing off the tops. We would have been told to mind our manners if we'd done it and they clearly felt guilty as they'd wait for auntie to turn her back before licking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they made your morning..Todd is such a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these Chelsea buns Marie!
    Have a nice Sunday!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenann, I am loving these memories you are sharing.Thanks so much! I have heard of German Buns. There was a version in Canada as well, probably brought there by the Mennonites and Amish that moved there! xxoo

    Thanks Monique! Todd would not disagree! xoxo

    Thanks Gloria, I hope you have a lovely Sunday also! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, buns are rising as I write, looking forward to sharing with a friend over a cup of tea later

    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, I hope you both enjoy them! Do let me know either way! Thanks! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted a comment which seems to have gone astray! They were lovely thank you Marie, the better half has helped eat them ..will definitely make again. Thanks again for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed these BRbRa! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found You while watching Coronation Street and stopped to google sausage sarnie. I'm Canadian and had never heard of it. Looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Trisah, from one Canadian to another welcome! I was a huge fan of Corry well before I moved over here to the UK. Since I was a girl back in the 60's/70's. Still am!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!