Hot Roast Beef and Cheese Sandwiches

Tuesday 17 February 2015

 photo DSCN04801_zpsjqbetttr.jpg

 I cooked us a roast on Valentines Day.  We had not had a roastable (other than pot roast) beef in a very long time and so I splurged and treated us to a Prime Rib.  Oh boy it was really good.   Prime Rib is my favourite of all the roasts.  I used to cook it for my employers fairly often when I worked at the Manor, but I think Todd and I have only ever had it one other time the whole time we have been married.

 photo DSCN0481_zpsvwwaxthi.jpg

When I considered the cost of going out for a meal and just buying in a nice roast.  Buying in a nice roast won!  We had a much nicer meal than we would have been able to buy had we gone out and we have the delicious leftovers to enjoy.

 photo DSCN0482_zpsixywcifp.jpg

Today I made hot  Roast Beef and Cheese Sandwiches, using what I had on hand in the fridge and larder,  and some of the leftover roast.   THEY. WERE. FABULOUS!!

  photo DSCN0485_zpsrx0w8wmn.jpg

I sliced some of the roast up very thinly and then gently warmed it up in a mix of beef stock and steak sauce.  While I was heating the meat, I fried some onions until they were just golden brown.

 photo DSCN0483_zpsfctutsrt.jpg

I split, buttered and toasted some hoagie/finger rolls.  I spread the bottom half with some blue cheese dressing, and then topped them with some of the warmed meat, which had absorbed most of the stock and flavours of the steak sauce. 

   photo DSCN0486_zpsxhg5abdy.jpg

I topped the meat with some of those golden brown onions and then added a layer of cheese . . .  four kinds to be exact, as that is what I had in the fridge . . .  strong cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan and Comte . . . and then I banged them back into the oven to melt the cheese.

 photo DSCN0487_zpsjjofs1c9.jpg

The end result was so utterly gorgeous none of us said a word the whole time we were eating them . . .  all you could hear was . . .  mmm . . .

Try them.  I think you will like them too!  The blue cheese dressing added an extra special touch and the combination of cheeses was just perfect.  Altogether they were totally sublime.

 photo DSCN0480_zpszgpoygup.jpg


*Hot Roast Beef and Cheese Sandwiches*
Makes 4 to 6

DELICIOUS!  Seriously.  There is no other word for it.  You will never look at leftover roast beef in quite the same way again. 

3 to 4 cups of leftover roast beef, sliced very thinly and into strips
125ml of beef stock (1/2 cup)
1 TBS of steak sauce (I used Frenches)
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
salt, pepper and garlic seasoning
4 to 6 hoagie rolls (large finger buns)
4 TBS softened butter
blue cheese dressing (I used Newman's Own)
60g of grated strong cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
90g of grated mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
45g of coarsely grated Parmesan Cheese (1/4 cup)
45g of grated Comte Cheese (1/4 cup Swiss) 
 photo DSCN0488_zpsf60nfwyn.jpg 

Place the beef stock and steak sauce into a saucepan.   Bring to a low simmer.  Add the sliced beef.  Gently heat through, until most of the liquid has been reduced.  While this is heating, melt 1 TBS of butter in a skillet.   Add the onion.  Season lightly with salt, pepper and garlic seasoning.  Cook, stirring frequently over medium heat until golden brown, taking care not to allow them to burn. 
 photo DSCN0490_zpsogxxgr6k.jpg 

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Split the rolls almost all the way through and put them on a baking tray.  Lightly butter each one with some softened butter.  Roast in the oven until golden brown.  Remove from the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 200*C/40)*F/ gas mark 6. Spread one half of each with some blue cheese dressing.  Using tongs remove an equal portion of beef and place it onto half of each roll. Top with an equal portion of fried onions.  Mix all the cheese together and divide this amongst each roll, scattering it over the onions.  Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes until the cheese has melted.   Serve hot.

2 comments

  1. They look fantastic and Jacques would love them.
    You got a lot out of that roast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nice size roast Monique. This was a really nice way to use up some of the leftovers. Thanks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!