Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies . . . the chewy ones.

Tuesday 24 February 2015

 photo DSCN0601_zps89zuntgz.jpg

I came across a peanut butter cookie recipe the other day that looked pretty good, on a blog called Julia's Album .  I like puffy peanut butter cookies.   I prefer my peanut butter cookies to be a bit soft and chewy rather than hard and crunchy.   These looked perfect and not only that, but her recipe only made between 12 and 15 cookies, which is just the perfect amount to have here in this house because we are only two.  People that is.

  photo DSCN0602_zps1wrli32e.jpg

These turned out really nice.  Soft and puffy, with a nice crisp sugar coating on the outside which contrasted very well with the almost gooey insides.

 photo DSCN0606_zps3wwhxg6w.jpg

If I had to try to describe the consistency of these cookies, I would say they are somewhere between a cake and a brownie.  Somewhat fudgy and quite moreish.

 photo DSCN0607_zpsqgztkelk.jpg

I'd go so far as to say it's a probably a good thing there are only 12 of them, because that limits the damage I can do with them.  ☺

  photo DSCN0604_zps18n4ti93.jpg

*Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies*
Makes 12 

Soft and puffy with a nice sugar crunch coating. 

45g of creamy peanut butter (1/4 cup)
2 TBS unsalted butter at room temperature
100g soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
pinch of salt
1 medium free range egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
105g of plain flour, sifted (3/4 cup, do see note below)
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 TBS of granulated sugar for coating


 photo DSCN0609_zpsq59p2urq.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line a large baking sheet with some parchment paper.  Set aside.  (alternately butter the pan well.)


Cream the butter and peanut butter together well with a wooden spoon, beating until smooth.  Beat in the brown sugar and salt.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Sift in the baking powder.  Gradually beat in the flour.   Shape into 12 equal sized balls, rolling them between your palms.  Put the granulated sugar into a bowl.  Drop each ball into sugar and roll it around to coat and then place on the baking sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each. 

Bake until the cookies are nicely puffed and beginning to brown around the edges.  The tops will look crackly.  This will take about 12 minutes.   Allow to sit on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes prior to lifting off to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.

Note:  To measure the flour.  Sift your flour well and then spoon it into the measuring cup.  Carefully remove any excess with a knife, sweeping it evenly across the top of the measuring cup without pressing down.

 photo Sun-pat-pb-smooth_zpsvaegrpih.jpg

Allow me to have a bit of a moan here.   This is the peanut butter I used.  It's quite tasty actually.  Very peanutty.  My moan is about the shape of the jar . . .  those bulging shapes on the top and bottom of the jar make it damn near impossible to clear the peanut butter out of them.   I did manage to get it out of the top curve by using my finger (best tool ever invented) but my fingers were not long enough to reach the bottom . . .  and I could not get a rubber spatula to bend into the curve enough to scrape the peanut butter out.  Most annoying, which meant that probably about a quarter cup or so of the peanut butter in the jar went to waste.

 photo DSCN0597_zpspmxjxzrs.jpg

I decided to give the jar to Mitzie  to clean out.  I figured she would enjoy the challenge, and she did, but even she couldn't get most of the peanut butter from that bottom bulge.  Sigh . . . 

9 comments

  1. They look yummy. I'll have to give it a try. Maybe make a batch for my vegan granddaughter who loves peanut butter but doesn't eat eggs. It's not so easy to find cookie recipes that don't use eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sandra, I am so sorry. I had mistakingly left the egg out in the recipe. There is one egg. I have fixed my error. Thanks for your comment though as I would have missed it otherwise! Have you tried making her shortbread types of cookies? They normally do not have eggs in them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Julias' Album..her pasta and quinoa dishes are terrific..
    I agree with that pot..what a nuisance..You shoud send Mitzis pic to the company..too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sandra...if you have flax seed, you can make a flax egg substitute http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-a-flax-egg/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first visit to her page Monique! I will have to check out the pasta dishes! Not sure if the company would appreciate a dog photo, or if it would be enough to change the shape of the jar, but Mitzie enjoyed getting what she could out of it! xoxo

    That is a great suggestion Cindy! Thanks!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made these today and they were amazing! I was debating on whether to make crispy peanut butter cookies or your soft ones, and I'm so glad I chose yours. Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks MGB! I am so happy you enjoyed these! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some fantastic looking cookies!!! Love peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rachel, I hope you will bake them and that you like them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!