Salmon Patties

Wednesday 4 February 2015

 photo DSCN0324_zpsbxyz2y3z.jpg

Tinned salmon is something I always have in the house.  It's a very versatile ingredient and something which we both love.  It's great in sandwiches and pate's . . .  in casseroles, on it's own, in salads, etc.  One of my favourite ways of using it is to make these delicious salmon patties!

  photo DSCN0326_zpswceiahc2.jpg

Yes, that is boxed mac and cheese  . . .  don't judge me.  Sometimes you just gotta have what you gotta have.  To me it's comfort in a box.  Yes, homemade mac and cheese is infinitely better tasting and probably better for you . . .  but sometimes you just gotta go for the box. ☺

 photo DSCN0327_zpssbcdxogr.jpg

These are simple and go together very quickly.  They also use things that I normally have in my cupboard and fridge.  They're also delicious!  I normally serve them with my Lemon Butter Sauce or with Creamed Peas.  Both go very well.  This is good old fashioned home cooking at it's simplest and tastiest.

  photo DSCN0328_zpsdcyparzg.jpg


*Salmon Patties*
Serves 3 to 4

Simple to make.  Delicious to eat. You can have them with creamed peas or my Lemon Butter Sauce.  Both are delicious. 

2 large free range eggs
60ml of heavy cream (1/4 cup)
45g of cornmeal (1/4 cup)
2 TBS minced spring onions
2 TBS plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 large can of salmon, drained, skinned and boned or two smaller ones
(I buy the boneless, skinless salmon.  It comes in a 125g (6-oz) tin.  I use two of those)
butter for frying


 photo DSCN0342_zpstizot2nv.jpg

Beat the eggs.  Beat in the cream, cornmeal, spring onions, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.  Flake the salmon into the mixture.  Melt a knob of butter in a large skillet, over medium heat.  Once it begins to foam, using a dessert spoon scoop out the salmon mixture into the hot butter.  Spread out a bit.  Cook for about five minutes per side, until golden brown.   Serve hot.

  photo DSCN0343_zpsrfmu5mzn.jpg 

This is equally good with a salad on the side.  I sometimes serve them in the summer with potato or macaroni salad on the side.  Fried potatoes are also an excellent accompaniment, as is mash. 

10 comments

  1. Do you think this recipe would work with canned tuna? Would you change some of the ingredients if you were using tuna? I think Cajun seasoning would taste good in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia, I think it would work perfectly fine with tinned tuna. That would be delicious. I might be tempted to add some Cajun seasoning along with some finely minced peppers"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe that canned salmon is something that you can't get here? The mind boggles as we are a country drowning in salmon and you can buy it fresh, smoked, cured but NOT in a tin :-)

    Which is a pity, as I'd love to try these. Perhaps I'll experiment a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the mind does boggle Marie! I would just poach some fresh salmon and then use it as per the recipe. I bet it will be fabulous! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my mom making these, and I loved them. Funny that I've never tried to make them myself...until now! She also made patties with canned (tinned) mackerel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda. These old recipes are the best eh? I think Todd would love them with mackerel. He loves the stuff. I can't even stand to smell it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made these today and they were really good. Instead of using salmon, I used tuna and added a little Cajun seasoning. Once I made the patties I put them in Sandwich Thins with some fresh pieces of kale. Next time I might try the sauce and putting that on my sandwich too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds great Sylvia! So happy you enjoyed. I have been thinking of trying those sandwich thins myself! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I baked a rather large piece of salmon and had leftovers so I used it to make the patties. I substitutes instant mashed potatoes for the cornmeal and added some chopped Thai chilli for heat. Served this on top of a bed of greens. Made for a nice light lunch! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you enjoyed Paizley! Sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!