Cherry Tomato and White Bean Salad

Wednesday 29 April 2015

 photo DSCN1501_zpsbg6luxmr.jpg

Because of my present eye problems, I did an online grocery shop at the end of last week.  I just didn't feel like pushing a grocery cart through a shop with all the poor lighting etc.   I don't mind shopping online . . .  but this time most of my fresh items arrived with short use by dates.  That I DO mind.  YES I am one of those annoying people who pick the produce etc. from the back of the row where it is fresher when I am shopping!

 photo DSCN1502_zpsnorls6xk.jpg

 In any case I ended up with three pots of tomatoes that were due to expire within two days of my grocery order arriving.  This meant if I wanted to use them at their optimum, I needed to use them pretty much right away.

 photo DSCN1503_zpsjshp0dio.jpg

I ended up creating a Tomato and White Bean Salad, which went down a real treat!  Not only was it delicious, but it was very colourful also!

 photo DSCN1504_zpsv6vbqntz.jpg

And it lasted a couple of days.   The dressing has a nice punch  . . .  using fresh lemon juice, garlic and shallots  . . .  also basil and parsley, and olive oil  . . .  for a nice mix of flavours.

  photo DSCN1505_zpszpw8hqjz.jpg

With it's fresh and punchy dressing, bright colours, meatiness from the beans and sweetness from the tomatoes this was a real winner. I served it with some grilled fish and it was fabulous.

 photo DSCN1514_zpsv3urmi3u.jpg


*Cherry Tomato and White Bean Salad*
Serves 4

A delicious and colourful salad that is filled with lots of flavours and textures.   
 

3 TBS olive oil
2 banana shallots, peeled and finely diced
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 tsp caster sugar
1 TBS basil flakes
1 tsp dry parsley flakes
fine seasalt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 pound each yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
1 425g tin of white beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce)
1 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish 
 

Whisk the olive oil, diced shallots, crushed garlic, lemon juice, basil, parsley and seasoning together in a bowl.   Tip in the beans and halved tomatoes.   Toss to coat.  Let stand for at least half an hour for flavours to infuse. Scatter with fresh parsley and serve.

14 comments

  1. Really pretty looking salad, something me and my daughter would love!!
    I'm with you when it comes to buying fresh produce, I nearly always lift up the containers and get from underneath, less people have handled the produce �� my mum did it and now I do lol!
    I used to online shop before we got a car and yes fresh produce is one of those things I stopped getting online because most of the time as well as condition you got less for your money at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love that..

    So sorry you did not feel up to grocery shopping:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely Marie, just in time for summer. I'm an avid follower & I don't comment often but I always appreciate your recipes as I find them practical both in economy, preparation and presentation. I have not been disappointed in any of those I have tried. Thank You Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Faye! I hope you and your daughter will make it and enjoy it! I only do an online shop when I have to, and for that very reason! xoxo

    I hope you'll try it Monique! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your comment ExPat! I am so pleased that you enjoy my recipes! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look amazing Marie!
    Im sorry you still dont feel well dear:(
    Hope you feel better dear!
    I was so sick these day I have an othitis I dont visit so much.
    Hope you be ok soon Marie.
    Hugs dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Gloria. God bless you. You are a treasure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be making this soon! Thanks Marie! I hope your eyes are doing better. Probably will take a little while before it totally clears up. Hang in there and rest up! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Valerie! I hope you like it. I've been told the condition with my eyes won't get any better, just less noticeable and more tolerable! Ugh! Love you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks colourful and healthy. I love lemon juice dressing. This one will surely try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this to go with dinner last night...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks anukampa. I hope you like it!xo

    I am so happy you enjoyed this Karen! Thank you for taking the time to let us know! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!