Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

Saturday 4 April 2015

Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

Whenever any of the family went to visit my ex MIL Elizabeth you could count on her having made a nice big tin of these delicious gingersnaps.   So thin and so crispy and so delicious.   

These are so good, so thin and so crisp  you could eat them like potato chips. I have done just that in the past when I could do such things.

Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

I can remember one time she told me her mother used to make them with bacon fat or beef drippings.

And so I saved up my bacon fat for ages until I had enough to bake a recipe of them.  Hands down the  BEST gingersnaps I have ever eaten!

 Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

Of course the secret to their amazing crispness is rolling them as thin as you can.  Thinner than a quarter inch if possible.   It will be worth it. 

I know it seems fiddly and you think you are never going to run out of dough. All the effort is worth it. Truly. Trust me on this.

Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

The thinner the cookie the crisper they are and the more moreish they are.  The more they snap when you bit into one.  

This does mean that you have to watch them very carefully when they are baking as they bake. Because of their thinness, they can burn in next to no time. So do keep a watchful eye.

Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

The dough needs to be made the night before you bake them. It does make rather a lot (50 or 60) but they do freeze very well.   

I do hope that you will make the effort to make and bake these lovely biscuits.  Prepare yourself  to fall in love. You will fall in love at first . . .  crisp . . .  bite. I promise.

 Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

*Elizabeth's Gingersnaps*
Makes a LOT
(It's okay, they freeze)

This is my ex MIL's recipe for gingersnaps and it was her mother's recipe.  These are the crispest, thinest, most deliciously moreish gingersnaps you would ever want to eat.  Plan ahead as the dough needs to chill overnight.   

350g of mild molasses (1 cup)
(Over here in the UK, I use equal amounts of golden syrup and dark treacle)
110g of white vegetable shortening (1/2 cup)
(White flora, Trex, or crisco)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger (dry ground)
1 tsp salt
280g of plain flour (2 cups)


Elizabeth's Gingersnaps

Place the molasses and shortening in a saucepan and heat gently to melt the shortening.  Remove from the soft and sift in the baking soda.  Let cool, then add the ginger, salt and flour.  Stir well together.  Wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator overnight.

Elizabeth's Gingersnaps


When you are ready to bake them, preheat the oven to 200*C/425*F/ gas mark 6.


Roll the dough out very thin on a lightly floured surface.  The thinner you roll them the crisper they will be. Cut into rounds or squares using a sharp cookie cutter.  Place slightly apart on lightly greased baking sheets, or on parchment paper lined baking sheets.   Bake for only 2 1/2 minutes in the heated oven.  Watch these carefully as they will burn easily because they are so thin.  Cool on wire racks.


Repeat until you have rolled and baked all the cookies.
Store in an airtight container.

Note:  There is NO sugar in this recipe as they get all of their sweetness from the molasses.  

The Best of British Baking 

If you are a Baking Enthusiast and a fan of British Baking you are going to love this new book I wrote, set to be published on the 28th of December (2021)!!!  It is available for Pre-order now!  From fluffy Victoria sponges to sausage rolls, the flavors of British baking are some of the most famous in the world. Learn how to create classic British treats at home with the fresh, from-scratch, delicious recipes in The Best of British Baking. Its all here in this delicious book!



This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

  Follow my blog with Bloglovin



11 comments

  1. Marie..these look like cookies I loved as achild..a commercial brand that I cannot remember the name..I loved NICE..and these..
    And yours look aboslutely perfect.
    I will try these..
    They will not be as perfect as yours though;)

    ITS SNOWING HERE:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. More snow? You must be about sick to death of it! I hope you will try the cookies! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine these with a nice cuppa!- a perfect match!
    PS snowing here in NB too1 We still have 5 feet of snow on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for the silly question, is this with dry ground ginger or fresh chopped ginger?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear Linda, you must be wondering if it will ever stop! (((hugs))) Thanks for your lovely comment!

    It is dry ground ginger ee. No such thing as a silly question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could butter/marg be used in place of the White shortening as we don't get that in Australia ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used all bacon fat to make these on occasions Dee, so I would think that Butter would work fine also. Let me know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My former mother-in-law made the most delicious, crisp Italian biscuits using lard, so I can well believe that these were great made with lard or dripping.

    I made these today using lard and they came out perfect. Thin, crisp and delicious. We had them with tiny slivers of blue cheese, some mulled wine and it was so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet lard would work beautifully Marie! I am so pleased that you are enjoying them. I know Elizabeth would also. Your suggestion of serving them with blue cheese and mulled wine is excellent! Thank YOU! xo

      Delete
  9. Hello from Canada :) I also grew up with those brown paper bag ginger snaps, and my Scottish nanny taught me how to dip in tea when I was like 5 years old :)

    Sadly I followed this recipe to the letter with the possible exception of the molasses; I used Crosby's `cooking molasses'. I have never seen a `mild' version in our grocery stores here. I used Crisco and gas range at 425F for 3 minutes, and after baking and 30 minute cooling down, they are not crisp at all! They're chewy. Maybe if I leave them out overnight they'll get crispy? Any ideas why this happened? They were rolled out very thin also. Hope to hear from you soon! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These literally have to be just about paper thin! It is a bit of a pain I know, but it is worth every last bit of effort. They should not be chewy at all! I am talking about 1/8 of an inch thick at the most! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!