Golden Syrup Dumplings with Custard

Sunday 12 April 2015


Golden Syrup Dumplings 



We normally have our Sunday Dinner on Saturdays.  Sundays I never have the time to cook a big meal.  We spend half the day either getting ready for church or in church and then when I get home, I have phone calls to make to Canada, etc. so Sunday is usually catch as you can.  



Saturday is the day I make us a Sunday type of dinner, complete with dessert.   Today I treated my husband with one of his favourites  . . .  the most hedonisticly scrumptious dessert ever . . .



Golden Syrup Dumplings
 




Golden Syrup Dumplings. With lashings of vanilla custard. You just must have custard with a dessert like this . . . or at least Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. It's a given.




Golden Syrup Dumplings 






Rich, stodgy, and oh soooooo scrumdiddlyumptious!




Golden Syrup Dumplings 





Very "School Dinnerish!"





Golden Syrup Dumplings




Imagine puffy little buttery dumplings . . . poached in a buttery golden syrup and brown sugar sauce . . . spooned all hot and scrummy into a bowl and then covered with lashings of warm vanilla custard.




Golden Syrup Dumplings





I know . . . I oughta be ashamed of myself.




Golden Syrup Dumplings 





*Golden Syrup Dumplings*
serves 8
Printable Recipe

Quick, easy to make and oh so delicious! Lashings of custard or vanilla ice cream are a must!

7 ounces butter (3/4 cup plus 2 TBS)
8 ounces soft light brown sugar (1 cup packed)
4 ounces golden syrup, plus 2 TBS (1/2 cup plus 2 TBS)
400ml of milk (1 3/4 cup)
450ml of water ( 2 cups)
500g of self raising flour (3 1/2 cups plus 2 TBS )

Put the water, half of the butter, all of the sugar and 4 ounces of the golden syrup into a large wide pan. Bring to the boil and then reduce immediately to a simmer.

Warm the milk just a little bit. Place the flour and remaining butter in a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs. Whisk the warm milk and 2 TBS of syrup together. Add to the flour mixture and blitz until it comes together.

Bring the liquid back to the boil and drop in dessertspoon size pieces of the dough. Turn the heat down to a simmer again and gently cook for 10 minutes, turning the dumplings gently a few times. You may need to do them in a few batches, so that they don't stick together. Just scoop out the first lot with a bit of the syrup, and place into a baking dish,covering with foil. Keep warm in a very slow oven while you cook the rest. Serve warm, spooned into heated bowls along with lashings of vanilla custard! (Vanilla ice cream is also nice.)

Note:   Golden Syrup is very similar to corn syrup but has more of a caramel type of flavour. You could use light corn syrup and add about a teaspoon each of both butter and vanilla extracts for extra flavour.

8 comments

  1. Oh! My! Goodness! That is an amazing desert! I am saving this to have when we have people over for dinner, comfort food at its best! Yummy! :)

    Thank you for the recipe!

    Jerra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful Marie! Is there any chance that they can be prepared ahead and reheated? They seem like an ideal pudding to take to a family get together, but only if they will keep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made date squares and cream puffs yesterday..he likes a sweet:)
    He would like this;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure about that Karen, as I have not actually ever done that so I could not say with any certainty, but I do know that Todd enjoys the leftovers reheated with lashings of custard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy MOnique! I will be right over! I love both of those. J is a very lucky man! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very welcome Jerra! I hope that you enjoy them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These looks so delicious and another recipe I will try on the weekend..

    As for the lashings of custard...is there a recipe you use on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes there is Darlene, if you click on the words Vanilla Custard beneath the second picture on this post they will take you to it!! I hope you enjoy this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!