Iced Buns

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Iced Buns







I was thinking of the lovely Easter Breads my Aunt Thelma used to bake and send over to us when I was a girl.  They were so sweet and light . . .  slathered in icing with candied cherries on top.   They were just gorgeous.    

My Aunt Thelma was our mother's oldest sister and she was an expert  baker.  Her potato buns were to die for. Every Easter she would send us some beautiful breads all decorated and iced. WE really looking forward to them every year.

One thing you can buy in the shops over here are Iced finger buns. When I see them I am always reminded of my Aunt Thelma's iced breads.

This recipe for Iced Buns I am sharing today was adapted from the cookery book I was recently sent,  Tea & Cake by Lisa Faulkner.  They have been on my list of things to bake and so today I did just that. I have to say that they turned out just lovely!

Iced Buns







They were super easy to make too.   I often look at the iced buns in the shops and think they look really tasty.  

I never buy them though because more often than not, when i have caved into temptation, I have found that they are very disappointing.   They always end up tasting stale and dry. 

In all reality I am not a yeast baker at heart.  I never quite get it right. True confessions here.

PINTEREST FAIL ALERT! You have been warned. Try not to laugh too hard.

Pinterest fail






I saw these bunny buns on Pinterest a week or so ago.  They appeared all cute and cuddly. I thought to myself, I am going to try to make those! (As you do.) 

They didn't look too bad sitting on the tray prior to rising and baking. They even half resembled bunnies. Well, sorta anyways.

Pinterest fail






Once baked however, any resemblance to a cute little bunny was gone.  Blah.  The ears were hard and dry, but the body parts were okay.  Where were the cute little eyes?  Those bunny ears?

They looked nothing like the cute little bunny buns I had seen on Pinterest however.  I laughed and I laughed when I saw them. It was a bit like ordering something from China. 

What you get never even closely resembles the photograph of what you ordered.  Never. My friend ordered a beautiful Victorian Santa from there for Christmas and what she got resembled an ugly troll in a Santa suit.

Iced Buns







These buns, however, worked perfectly!  Just look at how light and fluffy they are.   You would expect no less from a recipe by Paul Hollywood, who is a master bread baker here in the UK.  

I have always loved watching him in the Great British Bake Off, don't you?  He knows his stuff and he's not all that hard on the eyes.

Iced Buns






These were everything you would expect an Iced Bun to be.  Light.  Fluffy.   Soft inside.  

Just the right amount of sweet icing . . .  and that cute little cherry on top, it's just so adorable.  They remind me so much of my Aunt Thelma's Easter Breads.

Iced Buns






You will really have to bake a batch of these for yourself and see just what I am talking about.  I know the recipe makes quite a few, but that really isn't a problem.  

I took six of them over to our elderly friend Doreen.   my husband and myself  have had one and a half, and our landlord who dropped by to fix the door had one.  (He ooohed and aaaahed over it.)  

And  . . .  a few hours later there are only seven left.  I dare say they will be gone by the end of tomorrow. Even un-iced the buns are gorgeous.

You could also freeze them un-iced and then just thaw and ice as you wish. Easy peasy.

Iced Buns





*Iced Buns*
makes about 16

Soft and yeasty and delicious.  Topped with a glace icing and half a cherry.  Based on a recipe by Paul Hollywood, so you know it's good. 

40g of butter (3 TBS)
50g caster sugar (4 TBS)
150ml of milk (5 fluid ounces)
140ml of water (4.5 fluid ounces)
2 7g (1/4 ounce) packages of fast action dried yeast
500g strong white flour (3 1/2 cups plus 2 TBS bread flour)
2 tsp salt
2 medium free range eggs 

For the glaze and decoration:
200g sifted icing sugar (1 cup confectioners)
water (about 2 1/2 TBS)
7 glace cherries, halved 


Iced Buns 





Heat the butter, sugar, milk and water in a saucepan just to blood temperature. (38*C/100*F)  Whisk iin the yeast.   

Measure the flour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.   Add the milk mixture and the eggs.  Mix for about 4 minutes on low speed.  Increase the speed and mix for a further 6 minutes.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a bit more.   Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover lightly with a clean tea towel and then place in a warm place for one hour to rise.  

Iced Buns 





Butter a large baking tray. 

Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces.  Shape into round buns.  Place onto the buttered baking sheet, leaving space between them as they will double in size.  Return to a warm place, lightly covered, and let rise for about 45 minutes. 

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/gas mark 7. 

Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes, then allow to cool completely.  They should be light and fluffy and not too dark. 

Once the buns are completely cooled, mix the icing sugar and water together to get a thick and sticky icing.   Dip the tops of the cooled buns into the icing and then place half a cherry on top.   

Iced Buns 




Enjoying one of these I was a child again, enjoying a slice of my Aunt Thelma's Easter Bread. Every mouthful took me back, all yeasty and sweet. These are the famous buns that were baked by the Women's Institute in that film Calendar Girls. Exact same recipe.

I can assure you however, these buns are exactly the right size.
 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

  Follow my blog with Bloglovin



8 comments

  1. beautiful Marie I will make them today

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so delicious! You know me and buns... as soon as I read the recipe I raced to the kitchen and got started and we had iced buns for afternoon tea. While they were proving I dashed to the shop for some glacé cherries (after many years without them, Dr Oetker has released them here - yay!)

    They are every bit as light and fluffy as you said they would be and were eagerly scoffed by the visiting family members. Thankyou for another winning recipe ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic Marie;) The bunnies are not as bad as you think:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, you will love them! oxox

    Marie, they are gorgeous aren't they? So happy you enjoyed. I forgot to put the eggs in and thought the dough was kinda stiff, but they still rose really well in the bowl. Then when I went to shape them I realized I had forgotten the eggs and so I just threw the dough into the mixer along with a bit of flour and kneaded them all in and let them rise again. Worked a charm, and they are fabulous. So happy you and Lars enjoyed! xoxo

    Thanks Monique! I don't think the bunnies are not so great, lol. Every time I see them I want to laugh! But I am glad that you can see the worth in them. ;-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing. I made them yesterday. So light and fluffy. Thanks. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you enjoyed them Regine! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good. Can also convert to plain rolls by just skipping the icing, and serving them with soup, etc. Also, do u find that it is best to put icing just before serving? I iced all last night and this morning the icing became a glaze. Last night, they looks like yours. But this morning the white thick glaze had changed to a thinner and more transparent glaze. Maybe it is because I should not have put cover. I placed them in a bit container with cover. Thanks. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  8. They would be great just as rolls also Regine. Perhaps it would be best to ice them on the day. In any case, they are lovely. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!