Jam Filled Scones

Thursday 16 April 2015

 photo Scones_zpsrvzevas0.jpg

Today I baked Todd's favourite Jam Filled Scones.  You know we love jam in this house . . .  I make no secret of it, and I always have lots of it in the cupboard and refrigerator. I have several varieties that I prefer over others . . .  Strawberry being my top favourite, followed closely by seedless raspberry and Blueberry.  Cherry jam is also a real love of mine.





These scones are lovely. They can be a bit fiddly to make and they seldom stay together when they are baking . . . but Todd loves them and I have to say they are more than worth all of the fiddle and I kinda like the blown out bits myself.  Call me crazy, but it's true.



You may even think they're a tiny bit ugly . . . but I can promise you the taste is anything but . . . ugly that is. Perfect for elevensies or afternoon coffee break! (See those bubbles??? There's money in that cup of tea. My mom always says those bubbles meant money, so it must be true!)



*Jam Filled Scones*
Makes 10
Printable Recipe

A scone with an unusual twist . . . jam in the middle. Perfect with your afternoon cuppa.

300g self raising flour (2 cups plus 3 TBS)
pinch salt
2 TBS caster sugar
30g of chilled butter, chopped (2 TBS)
200ml of milk, plus extra to glaze (7 fluid ounces)
2 1/2 TBS jam
Sifted icing sugar to dust



Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Line a baking tray with baking paper, or lightly grease.

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Whisk in the sugar. Drop in the butter and rub it into the flour mixture using your fingertips until you have a mixture which resembles fine dry breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.

Add almost all of the milk and mix to a soft dough, using a fork, and adding remaining milk if necessary. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead briefly to bring it together into a smooth ball. Roll out with a floured rollin gpin to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch rounds with a sharp round cutter, using a direct up and down motion, without twisting the cutter. Pat out a bit and make a hollow indentation in each, about 1/2 inch from the edge along one side. Spoon a little bit of jam into each indentation. Brush the edges with some milk and carefully fold the dough in half to make a semi-circle, covering the jam and pinching the edges to seal. Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking tray. Brush the tops with a bit more milk.

Bake for 12 minutes until well risen, golden brown on top and on the bottoms. Serve warm, dusted with some icing sugar.



7 comments

  1. You're sure to enjoy them Monique. They're really very good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Added to my weekend 'to do' list ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. These scones look georgeous Marie!
    I want one too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you enjoy them Barbara! xo

    Thanks Gloria! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scones and I actually make them frequently. I will try this next time I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy them Jeffrey!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!