Raisin Sauce (for with Gammon or Ham)

Thursday 2 April 2015

 photo DSCN1256_zpsmssipjge.jpg

This old, old recipe is the perfect accompaniment to serve with your Easter Ham or Gammon.   Its a bit old fashioned, but it's also very good.  Fruit goes really well with the smoky saltiness of Gammon/Ham and this sauce proves that it doesn't have to be pineapple.

 photo DSCN1259_zps9oyvkfwi.jpg

Or course if you are not fond of raisins, this isn't the sauce for you, but I do think possibly sour cherries would also work very well.  And cherries go great with gammon or ham.

  photo DSCN1263_zpsvdrcvx0j.jpg

More often than not I will serve this with some gammon or ham steaks and it's lovely with them.  But it is also delicious served with a roasted gammon or ham.

 photo DSCN1257_zpsyc60bsnj.jpg

I know it is a bit old fashioned . . .  like something your Gran would have made, but I hope you won't discount this.  It really is good.  Proof positive that some of these old fashioned and simple recipes are really excellent and worth revisiting from time to time!

 photo DSCN12561_zpsfo291jew.jpg


*Raisin Sauce*
makes 8 servings
 
This is lovely with Gammon or Ham.  Makes a great sauce for Easter.   We like it with Gammon Steaks.   With a slight sweet and sour tang and plump sultanas, it goes down a real treat. 
 
100g of soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
2 TBS cornstarch or corn flour
1 tsp dry mustard powder
225ml of water (1 cup)
2 TBS Cider Vinegar
115g of sultana raisins (3/4 cup)
2 TBS of butter
extra boiling water as needed 
 
Whisk the brown sugar, corn flour and mustard powder together in a sauce pan.  Whisk in the water and vinegar to blend.   Bring to the boil and then cook for at least two minutes until thickened  Stir in the raisins and the butter.  If you think the sauce it too thick, whisk in boiling water a tablespoonful at a time until you have the right consistency.  Serve warm.  You can make this ahead and just gently rewarm prior to serving.

6 comments

  1. I've never heard of raisin sauce but my dad thinks raisins are the greatest food on earth and we're having ham on Easter. Almost everything my mom or I make my dad always says, "I wonder what this would taste like with raisins?!", he even named his cat Raisin. I think he's going to love this. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome Jeannine! I am sure your dad will LOVE this. Happy Easter! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be good..My Picadillo recipe has raisins and mustard etc..has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like what they call piccalilli over here Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love raisin sauce and ham and as it happens I have a ham for the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will hopefully love this Pat! It's beautiful with ham. I miss the spiral hams from back home that we used to get at Easter. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!