Tuna, Cheese & Onion Pie

Friday 10 April 2015

 photo DSCN1362_zpsfoxa7dle.jpg

I have always been a foodie.   When  I was really young my mom used to give me her old magazines and I can remember clipping recipes from them.  I can still tell you how very delicious a slice of her lemon meringue pie was . . . yellow and transparent, covered in a seemingly mile high pile of sweet and sticky meringue . . . this remembered from lunch time when I was about 8 years old.   She used to make my brother a small bowl of lemon pudding instead of pie because she didn't think pastry was good for wee ones . . .  and it probably wasn't.


 photo DSCN1365_zpswwzspdj9.jpg

I have a LOT of food memories that go way, way back . . .  the taste of sweet carrots stolen from a farmer's field in Germany when I was really small, maybe only three or four years old.     The delicate smokiness of the thin slices of bierwurst that the German Grocer used to gift me with when I would go to the shop to pick up things for my mom . . .  again I would only be about four years old if that.  We left Germany when I was four and a half.

I've always been a foodie.

 photo DSCN1360_zpsmug3knwk.jpg

I even used to spend some of my precious teenage allowance on cookery books (which I still have to this day) including Fanny Farmer's Cooking School, a Jewish Cookbook (because my then boyfriend/ex husband's sister married a Jewish fella), The Farmer's Daughter Cookbook, Madame Benoit Cooks at Home, and  . . .  my last year in high school I began to splurge and collect the Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook Library.

 photo DSCN1359_zpsgfbcqwef.jpg

A whole series of cookery books that covered everything from cheap eats to desserts to glamorous entertaining . . .  or at least the 1970's version of glamorous entertaining.   I still use them from time to time.  There are some real gems between the covers and this recipe I am showing you here today is one of them.

  photo DSCN1364_zpsbwcxuugk.jpg

It comes from the Casserole Cookbook (second edition, eight printing 1972) and is a lovely and easy to make Tuna Pie which nestles into a rice crust.   If you have pouches of ready cooked rice in the cupboard, they work just fine, which makes this a great store cupboard meal.   It's like a quiche in many ways.  Simple.  Economical.   Delicious.  What more could you want?

  photo DSCN1366_zpsrdvtf5gw.jpg

I think it's pretty wonderful that forty years later I still find great value in these old books.   Money well invested I would say.   The original recipe called for the use of Swiss Cheese.  I replaced the Swiss with a goodly amount of strong English Cheddar and added a TBS of Dijon mustard . . .  coz cheese and mustard are da bomb.

 photo DSCN1358_zpsxikcsw8y.jpg

*Tuna,  Cheese and Onion Pie*
Serves 6
A delicious cheddar, tuna and onion filling bakes in a tasty rice shell!


250g of cooked rice (2 cups)
2 TBS butter, melted
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
pinch salt and black pepper
1 medium free range egg, lightly beaten


For the filling:
200g tin of solid albacore tuna, drained and flaked (about 1 cup)
3 medium free range eggs, beaten
60ml double cream (1/4 cup)
180ml milk (3/4 cup)
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
125g of strong cheddar cheese,grated (1 cup)
salt and black pepper to taste


Preheat the oven to 180*C.350*F/ gas mark 4.   Butter a 10 inch pie dish really well.

 
Mix together the rice, melted butter, chopped onion, marjoram, salt, pepper and egg.  Press this mixture into the prepared pie plate.   Flake the tuna over top of the rice.   Beat together the remaining ingredients and pour this over top of the tuna.  Bake in the heated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or just until a knife inserted off centre comes out clean.   Cut into wedges to serve.

11 comments

  1. FUN with you shared food memories, Marie! And I love old cookbooks too! This recipe has a nice nostalgic feeling. ;o) And this would be great for Fish Fridays... Thank you! That rice crust is interesting--never tried something like that! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Marie I love your childhood memories!!
    Really I love too old magazines and old cook books (I have two little libraries one in my bedroom and other in other room but the librarie of my bedroom is ONLY cook books and recipes!
    I love this recipe !
    Look amazing!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are GREAT with your childhod memories..

    And it is evident that being a foodie has been part of you forever:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will try it Tracy! It's really good! xoxo

    THanks Gloria! I have far too many cookbooks, but what can I say? I love them all! xoxo

    Thanks Monique. It may be my downfall yet! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old cookbooks too, Marie. I'm wondering, since I'm low-carbing, can I just omit the crust entirely but follow the rest of the recipe as is, without a crust? Do you think I'd need to make any adjustments?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, since you are low carving it, why not make the crust with cauliflower "rice?" I think that would be quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your reminiscences are always wonderful to read. You have such a gift for painting a vivid picture, that I feel as though I'm sitting on the sofa with you, sharing a cuppa.

    I also have warm, happy food memories from my childhood, mostly based around my gran's kitchen. She was a wonderful cook and she poured love into everything she made, which inspires me to try and do the same for my own family.

    This sounds like a delicious, economical dish. If I'd seen it earlier I might have made it tonight (although I still had a "Marie in the UK" meal - your lovely Skillet Aubergine Parmesan). I like the addition of the Dijon mustard and totally concur that it's da bomb when combined with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is double cream whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Marie, I can well imagine we are very much alike, and not just in name! So glad you enjoyed the Aubergine! I haven't even posted the recipe on here yet. I think you will like this pie too when you try it! xoxo

    Yes, Kerry, double cream is whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marie, if I don't have double cream on hand, can you just use whole milk? Do you think it would still work?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am quite sure that it would Mary! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!