Malva Pudding

Saturday 6 June 2015




We were invited to have lunch with some friends earlier this week in their home.  Tina and Tony.   We love spending time with them.   They are a fascinating couple and good people.   They've lived  several places in their lives, including South Africa and Australia and now they live in Wales.  They're retired just like us and just like me, Tina loves to cook.  You can be certain that when you are invited to theirs for a meal, you are in for a real treat, and boy oh boy was lunch the other day a treat!





Dessert was this fabulous pudding which is South African in origin.  Hands down the most delicious pudding I have ever eaten.  I just had to ask for the recipe and one of the nice things about Tina is she doesn't mind sharing, which is great!




This dessert was soooooooo delicious that I ended up making it for the Missionary Elders when they came to us for tea on Thursday evening and it went down a real treat then too!



It's like a dense, sticky rich cake.  You make a batter first, which you bake in a casserole dish in a slow oven for about 45 minutes, covered with foil.



While it is baking, you make a rich buttery sauce with cream, which you then pour over the baked batter as soon as you take it out of the oven.



The sauce soaks into the batter adding to it's moistness . . .  rich, sticky . . .  scrumptiously delicious.  Almost dangerous.



Tina served hers with warm custard, but I served it with pouring cream . . .  mostly because I ran out of time and didn't have time to make custard . . .



There were no complaints.  'Nuff said.



*Malva Pudding*
Serves 6

This is an incredibly delicious and rich pudding.   I got the recipe from my friend Tina. It's simple and easy to make and you probably have everything you need in the house to make this right now!  It's a South African recipe. 

190g of caster sugar (1 cup)
1 large free range egg
1 TBS smooth apricot jam
140g of plain flour (1 cup)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
pinch of salt
1 TBS butter, melted
1 tsp vinegar (I used cider)
225ml of milk (1 cup) 

For the sauce:
225ml cream (1 cup)
6 ounces butter (3/4 cup)
190g of caster sugar (1 cup)
115ml of hot water (1/2 cup)

To serve:
pouring cream, warm custard or ice cream.




Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Butter a shallow 1 litre/1 quart baking dish.  Set aside.


Beat the egg and sugar together until light.   Beat in the jam.  Sift together the flour, soda and salt.   Whisk together the milk, vinegar and butter.   Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternately with the milk mixture.  Mix until smooth.  Pour into the prepared baking dish.  Cover with tin foil.  Bake for 3/4 to 1 hour, until risen and golden brown.  It will look sticky on top.


While the cake is baking mix together the sauce ingredients and heat gently until the sugar has melted completely and the butter as well.  Keep warm.


Remove the cake from the oven and pour the sauce mixture over top, allowing it to absorbe as you pour it.   Serve warm or at room temperature with custard, pouring cream or ice cream.

20 comments

  1. Beautiful and dense malva pudding Marie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gloria, like I said, this is the BEST dessert I have ever eaten. Absolutely flippin gorgeous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a must eat in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this..I bet J would love!
    You have a lot in common with Tina..fun Marie:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Monique, it was very good and the boys really enjoyed it. I gained ten pounds just sniffing it. lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a must eat full stop Amelia! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok made it and ate it! It is surprisingly light! Not in calories but in texture!! When I say we ate it I meant that my husband had two bowls and now feels sick it's so rich!! I had a little and loved it! Going to make another one tomorrow for my in laws.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, Amelia, I can't believe he ate two bowls, lol It is so good that it is tempting to want seconds, but I don't recommend, unless you pace them a couple hours apart! lol So happy it was enjoyed however! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made Malva pudding a variety of ways but I find that whisking the milk, vinegar and butter together just curdles the milk and it is impossible to use in the mixture. How do you do this so that the milk does not 'shrink' into bits that look like torn plastic? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That didn't happen to mine, but one suggestion I could make deebee, is to stir the vinegar into the eggs and sugar. I think actually the point of adding the vinegar to the milk is to sour it, which means it will curdle a bit. If you whisk it with a small whisk, but curdles will break up really small. Since you are beating it into the batter, this really isn't a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I wanted to replicate your delicious looking pudding so I just made it. But it didn't come out the way it looks in the picture. It came out as a sponge--fluffy, not browned and cooked down like yours. I followed the recipe exactly written and even measured ingredients in metric. I have a Fahrenheit oven here in the states. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it possible that you live at a higher altitude? Other than that I can't think what it might be, unless it is the difference in flour texture. :-(

      Delete
    2. I think you hit the nail on the head--I used the flour I had at the moment--soft winter white flour. And as everyone has commented, this was very delicious even the first time that wasn't so perfect in texture. Yes, dangerous and addictive. Thanks for posting all the great recipes.

      Delete
    3. So happy you have pesevered and are still enjoying it! xo

      Delete
  12. SOOOooooo good! Had never heard of Malva Pudding—and had to look up Caster sugar (being in the US)—but your photos made it look like an interesting thing to try, so I did! Wow! Was afraid I'd done something wrong because the sauce didn't soak in right away, but I poked some holes in it and gave it some time, and all was well! Thanks so much for sharing, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you enjoyed this Anna! Its sooooo good! Almost dangerous! xo

      Delete
  13. What do you change for Germany's altitude and 405 flour?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do I need to make any adjustments to this recipe, due to the altitude in Germany?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot say for sure Martie, but I have found you a good sound chart for differences needed to make in High Altitude baking. You can find it here:

      https://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/tipslibrary/baking-tips/baking-cooking-high-altitudes

      Just copy and paste into your browser. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!