Spaghetti with a Honeyed Tomato Sauce

Wednesday 24 June 2015

 photo DSCN2040_zps2byhqqdj.jpg

What can I say . . .  there are times in life when I just long for . . .  indeed crave  . . .  a bowl of pasta.  And sometimes it can be as simple as a bowl of hot spaghetti adorned with nothing but butter, salt, pepper and a bit of parmesan and sometimes it can be  something a bit more complicated . . .  it just depends on my mood and how quickly I want it on the table.

 photo DSCN2041_zpsaclpin5g.jpg

Sometimes if I am feeling really lazy, I just open a jar.   Doesn't everyone?  And I have my favourite jarred sauces also.

  photo DSCN2042_zpskhfnpatn.jpg

Sometimes I am willing to go whole hog and make a huge bit of an effort like today when I decided that I wanted to have some spaghetti . . .  and I wanted a tomato based sauce, but didn't want to just open a jar . . .  but again, I didn't want to have to spend eons of time getting what I wanted!

 photo DSCN2043_zps2y7a75c1.jpg

This sauce fit the bill perfectly.   Honey and garlic are natural partners . . .  so are honey and tomatoes  . . .  garlic and tomatoes . . .  why not combine the three?

  photo DSCN2044_zpsrjzchgxh.jpg

What a beautiful marriage of flavours  . . .  delicious tomatoes, sweet honey, some good balsamic, mellow garlic . . . green herbs . . .  parsley, basil, mint . . .  and a tiny bit of seasoning . . .

  photo DSCN2046_zpsa3bmd7nz.jpg

This was fabulous and settled my craving just nicely.

 photo DSCN2049_zpsgdo643zu.jpg


*Spaghetti with a Honeyed Tomato Sauce*
Serves 4

This is wonderful.   A bit spicy.  A bit garlicky.  A bit herby.  A hint of sweetness . . . and a whole lot of deliciousness! 

2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS minced garlic
1/2 tsp crushed chili flakes (or to taste)
1 (350g) jar of Passata Rustico (crushed tomatoes, about 2 1/2 cups)
1 TBS good quality Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBS liquid honey
a handful of fresh parsley, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
a very large handful of fresh basil leaves, cut chiffonade (see note below, about 1/2 cup)
1 TBS freeze dried mint leaves (alternately about 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped)
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound of spaghetti, cooked to al dente
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese 


 photo DSCN2052_zpssqqy4e87.jpg

 
Fill a large pot with water.  Salt generously and place over a high flame to bring to the boil.


Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add the garlic.  Cook, stirring just until it begins to turn golden.  Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, honey and chili flakes.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a slow simmer and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  In the meantime cook the spaghetti to al dente according to directions on package, drain well.   Stir the fresh herbs into the sauce and season to taste with salt and black pepper.  Stir in the hot spaghetti, tossing to coat it with the sauce.   Serve immediately along with some Parmesan Cheese for grating on top.

3 comments

  1. I love this Marie! Sounds amazing with the honey!
    Dito love spaguettis!!
    Hugs!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried with honey..sounds and looks good..love pasta:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gloria! The honey adds just a tiny bit of sweetness, but goes really well with the garlic! xoxo

    Thanks Monique! Me too! Todd, well he could take or leave it, but he eats it when I make it. He grumbles a bit. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!