Spiced Fruit Salad

Sunday 21 June 2015



We've been having some really nice this week with not a lot of rain . . .  it's looked threatening of rain at times and felt very close, but it's been quite dry for the most part.   Todd soaks it all up.  He loves this kind of weather!

This week it's been time to lighten things up a bit.  You don't want heavy food when the temps are high.






Yesterday I made this delicious fruit salad that was really refreshing. I just took whatever fruit I had on hand in the kitchen and chopped it up into a bowl. What makes this just a touch different than an ordinary fruit salad though . . .

is the tasty spicy marinade. mmmm . . . red chili and ginger . . .



*Spiced Fruit Salad*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Nothing could be more refreshing in the summer than a delicious fruit salad for dessert. Healthy, colourful and, in the case of this one, sweetly spiced! It's a real pleaser!

110g (1/2 cup) of caster sugar (superfine)
4 slices of fresh ginger
1 small red chili, cut in half
4 ounces (1/2 cup) water
Juice and zest of 2 limes
fruit, a mixture of watermelon, honeydew melon, mango, banana, cherries,pineapple, kiwi fruit etc., sliced and chopped
(enough for 4 portions)



Put the sugar into a saucepan over medium heat along with the water, ginger and chili. Heat until the sugar melts. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Add the lime juice and zest. Remove the chili and ginger.

Put the fruit into a bowl. Pour the syrup over. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes. Serve chilled on it's own or with some ice cream or sorbet if desired.

5 comments

  1. Dear Marie I love salads fruits are delicious and yours look so good.
    Today I bought kiwis I will try to make something soon!:)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum Gloria! Can't wait to see what you make! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love limes..w/ fruit salads Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought to use chili or ginger in a fruit salad syrup and now I wonder what took me so long! It was that ingredient that intrigued me, but I trust your recipes, so gave it a go. What a lovely addition, as was the grated lime zest and juice. The taste was really refreshing on a warm, muggy day and these flavours all went really well with the fresh fruit. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!