Chicken Tostadas, with a Mango & Strawberry Salsa

Thursday 27 August 2015

 photo DSCN2976_zpsmquutv81.jpg

 I was recently invited to become part of the 2015 Better with Leerdammer Blogger team. As a member of the team I would be challenged to create a sandwich with the ingredients provided for five days running. I am a big fan of Leerdammer and so for me, this is a delicious challenge to fulfil!  I also love sandwiches!  This is a definite win/win situation!   This is Day Four!



  photo DSCN29761_zpsc4iiczod.jpg

The ingredients list for day four was as follows:  Cooked chicken breast, canned sweet corn, tomato salsa, tortilla wraps, Leerdammer Toastie and Burger, Mango, Strawberries

I used all of the ingredients with the exception of the corn (because my IBS hates corn) and the tomato salsa.  I just did not think tomato salsa fit in very well.  I added some refried beans, some of the vegetables (peppers and onions) left from the other day, lettuce left from the other day and sour cream left from the other day.

 photo DSCN2977_zpskhox1s5d.jpg

I think this was my favourite sandwich/lunch so far this week, and Todd really enjoyed it also.  I love Mexican flavours and as a North American, tortilla wraps always scream Mexican food to me!  I thought of tacos, and then I thought no . . .  too messy.  Tostadas!  A tostada is like a kind of a mexican pizza . . .  with the crisp tortilla wrap acting as a base for other ingredients.

 photo DSCN2978_zpsdgbvbowh.jpg

The tortillas were topped with some spicy refried beans and then a mix of spicy cooked chicken and vegetables . . .  topped with the Leerdammer and baked, even on it's own this would have been tasty.  But I wanted more than tasty.  I wanted fantabulous! And I got it . . .

  photo DSCN2980_zpsrpgbu1kk.jpg

The strawberries and mangos screamed salsa to me.  I knew that I could make a really delicious fruity spicy salsa with them and that it would go wonderfully with the other flavours, as odd as they might seem at the outset.  They actually all go together beautifully and these tostadas were fabulously delicious!  WE loved these.  With a garnish of lettuce and sour cream and that spicy fruited salsa on top they went down a real treat!

  photo DSCN2979_zpsncfohiu6.jpg

*Chicken Tostadas*
with a Mango and Strawberry Salsa
A delicious combination of sweet and spice!  It may sound a bit unusual, but the flavours all work together beautifully!


For the salsa:
1 punnet of fresh strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
1 mango, pit removed, peeled and chopped coarsley
1/2 small red onion, peeled and chopped
the juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp dried coriander flakes
1/4 tsp salt
2 pickled jalapenos (slices), de-seeded and very finely chopped
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and minced


For the tostadas:
4 flour tortilla wraps
1 tin (215g/1 cup) refried beans
2 cooked chicken breasts, skin removed and discarded, flesh shredded
1/2 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 small red pepper, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 small green pepper, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 tsp mild chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
8 slices of Leerdammer Toastie and Burger cheese, torn into bits
To serve:
shredded lettuce
sour cream


First make the salsa.  Combine all of the salsa ingredients in a large bowl to mix.  Set aside to macerate.


Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.

Lay the flour tortilla wraps out onto two large baking trays, with two on each tray.


Mix together the chicken meat, onions, peppers, chili powder, salt, black pepper and garlic powder.  Spread one fourth of the refried beans on each tortilla, leaving at least a half inch border all the way around.  Divide the chicken mixture evenly over top of all.   Cover with the torn Leerdammer cheese.   Toast in the preheated oven for 10to 15 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown and crisp and the cheese is melted and bubbling.  Remove from the oven and place on each of four serving plates.  Top each with some lettuce and sour cream, and spoon a portion of the mango and strawberry salsa over each.

 photo 87446011_0_640x640_zps0kgs9jsq.jpg


The cheese used in this was Leerdammer Toastie & Burger.  It has fabulous melting properties.  With thicker slices and a richer, creamier recipe for better melting, LEERDAMMER® Toastie & Burger is the perfect filling for a deliciously melty toasted cheese sandwich or cheese burger.

3 comments

  1. Replies
    1. It has been a lot of fun. I Like to come up with new things as you know! It's a lot of work, but yes, fun! xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a surprise this was - I thought the combination sounded strange at first until I thought about it and realised that I always use lovely, fruity salsas and chutneys with Mexican and Indian food, so why would it not work here. I just needed to think a little outside of my comfort zone.

    We really, really enjoyed this - everything worked together perfectly. I didn't have Leerdammer cheese, so I used emmentaler instead as it seemed similar and it was lovely. I am always open to new tastes and was so glad that I dared try this. I can think that pineapple salsa would also be good and I could use halloumi in cubes instead of chicken if I wanted to serve it to the vegetarians in the family. Very versatile and I'm going to enjoy playing around with it some more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!