Dutch Almond Thins

Sunday 23 August 2015

 photo DSCN2916_zpslwbek5ej.jpg

I am quite picky when it comes to biscuits/cookies.   I love chocolate chip cookies . . .  but my chocolate chip cookies have to be crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle . . .  and have lotsa chocolate chips in them. I also love raisins and nuts in mine, although I know not everyone does.   My molasses cookies have to be soft and puffy.  Oatmeal cookies . . .  crisp, crisp, crisp.   Not all cookies are alike and not all cookies are appreciated for the same reasons.   

 photo DSCN2917_zpszpd4e4sp.jpg

I have to say I quite simply adore those little buttery spiced almond thins that come in the packs of Belgian Biscuits.  Those packs of biscuits are quite expensive however and only a rare treat.   There are lots of delicious choccie choices in the pack . . .  but only a few almond thins.   You can get packs of almond thins alone  . . .  but again they are very expensive when compared to other biscuits.

 photo DSCN2918_zpsiiqmmm1i.jpg

I have been on a quest to find a recipe that will replicate closely those very biscuits and I think I may have found it.   This is my favourite of all the ones I have tried.  I found it on the Martha Stewart page, and have adapted it here.

 photo DSCN2919_zpskxugdzfw.jpg

It's not overly fiddly . . .  you simply pack the dough into mini loaf tins and then freeze.  Once the dough is frozen you cut it into thin slices, freeze again and then back.   Simple.   Here are my hints for success.  First of all  use a really REALLY sharp knife.   That is the only way you will get nice thin slices. I used my carving knife.  Don't be tempted to short cut any of the steps.  When it says frozen it means frozen.  There is a lot of butter in this and you want them really cold when you bake them.

 photo DSCN2920_zpsvt0odkqu.jpg

Watch them very carefully as they are so thin, that they will burn rather quickly.   There is a very fine line beween done and over done.  They might seem fiddly, but really once the dough is made and frozen, they're as simple as slicing, sprinkling with the almonds and baking.   These are moreishly addictive.  Crisp, buttery and quite, quite delicious!

 photo DSCN2921_zpsqxfnt4pp.jpg


*Dutch Almond Thins*
Makes 6 dozen
Thin, crisp and nicely spiced.  These go down great with a nice hot cuppa.  Moreishly delicious! 


420g of plain flour (3 cups)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
250g of unsalted butter (1 cup), at room temperature
300g of soft dark brown sugar (1 1/2 cups packed)
2 large free range eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
pinch ground cardamom
45g of sliced blanched almonds (1/4 cup)


 photo DSCN2922_zpsgdwdcbzj.jpg

Line two mini loaf tins with some plastic cling film and set aside.  Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl.   Beat the butter together with the brown sugar in another bowl on medium speed with an electric mixer for about 4 minutes, until light and creamy.   Reduce the speed to low and beat in the eggs and spices.  Beat in the flour, making three additions, until all incorporated.   Press the cookie dough into the mini loaf tins and cover tightly with the plastic cling film.  Freeze for at least one and a half hours or up to 1 month.

 photo DSCN2923_zpsdkcqtlkn.jpg


When you are ready to bake them, preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F. gas mark 6.  Line a baking sheet with some nonstick baking paper.  Set aside.

 photo DSCN2924_zpsj14gl52l.jpg


Remove the dough from one pan.  Allow to soften slightly.  Using a very sharp knife, cut eight 1/8th inch thick slices from the loaf.  Recover the dough and return to the freezer, until ready to slice and bake more.   Place the slices 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.  Top each slice with 2 to 3 almond slices.   Freeze until firm.   Bake until dark golden brown, from 7 to 10 minutes. (Watch diligently, as they can burn really quickly if you aren't careful.)

  photo DSCN2925_zpsnrvtj2ji.jpg


Place the baking sheet onto a wire rack and let cool.   Remove and store in an airtight container.   Repeat until you have baked all that you require.  

10 comments

  1. Marie..had I seen yoursfirst..!
    I made some last week..Pinned form Pineterest..of course..and they were AWFUL..what a waste of almonds..Pinning these,because you ae always right.
    I am a cookie connaisseur too:)I know what i like..;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they work for you Monique! As you can see they did for me. So yummy!! I hate wasting baking ingredientes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this recipe, it's lovely and it made so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I am so happy they are being enjoyed! xo

      Delete
  4. These were surprisingly easy to make and are really, really tasty. I think this will be a regular on my baking list - they are irresistable!

    I make an "Almond Bread" which you do a bit like a biscotti. It's made with whole almonds, egg whites, sugar and flour that you bake it in a loaf tin, then cool it, cut into very thin wafers and dry them in the oven. That's lovely (also can make it with hazelnuts).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, so pleased they are being enjoyed! Yes, tres irresistable! Your Almond Bread sounds gorgeous. I love almonds and biscotti so I am sure I would love those! xo

      Delete
    2. I'll email you the recipe - but beware they are very hard to resist!

      Delete
    3. Forewarned is forearmed Marie! Thanks! xo

      Delete
  5. So you cut approximately three dozen cookies from each pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It is an approximation because it all depends on how thin you cut them. The thinner the crisper. That's why freezing the dough helps. Also you want a nice sharp knife! Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!