Easy Peach Cobbler

Saturday 29 August 2015

 photo DSCN3011_zpsalvwged5.jpg

I have always wished that I lived in a place where you could get really good fresh peaches . . .  grown locally . . . and sweetly delicious.  To be able to walk out your door and pick a fresh peach sounds like a dream.  It's just never been my reality, and the peach is one of my favourite fruits.  I have always just had to do with tinned peaches or peaches which have been shipped in from much warmer climes.  I happen to love tinned peaches.  A favourite dessert when I was growing up was a scoop of  vanilla ice cream topped with some tinned peaches.  I still love it.

  photo DSCN3012_zpsmxytr22g.jpg

This well may be one of the ugliest desserts you have ever seen, but don't be fooled by it's blah appearance.  This is heavenly bliss . . . a buttery sweet peach cobbler which you can either use tinned peaches in (if you are like me, or if you are lucky enough to have good fresh peaches, you can use the fresh ones.

 photo DSCN3013_zpsjxs447rn.jpg

It's gorgeous served warm from the oven . . .  with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream melting down into that buttery cake and fruit . . .

 photo DSCN3015_zpsfik0hval.jpg

You would be right in thinking that doesn't look like vanilla ice cream.  It's raspberry ripple . . .  that's all I had, but it was still delicious!  Think Peach Melba . . .

  photo DSCN3016_zpshqkucd9q.jpg

The cake is lightly spiced with warm baking spices  . . .  cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom  . . .  all which enhance the flavour of the peaches . . .

 photo DSCN3017_zpst2biqypi.jpg

Ugly or not, this is a keeper.  Your family is guaranteed to love this.

 photo DSCN3019_zpsgdenui0t.jpg


*Easy Peach Cobbler*
Serves 6

This is simple to make and so delicious.  You can use fresh peaches if you want and are lucky enough to get tasty fresh peaches where you live.  I would use about 5 or 6 fresh peaches, blanched and peeled pitted and cut into 8ths.

1 (425g) tins of sliced peaches in juice, drained (1 14-ounce tin)
125g of butter melted (1/2 cup)
190g of sugar (1  cups)
140g of flour (2 cups
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp vanilla
225ml of milk (1 cup)

 photo DSCN3020_zpslmzbqjsm.jpg


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.


Drain your peaches really well and then dump them into a 9 inch square pan.  Melt the butter and pour over top.   Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder and spices into a bowl.   Whisk together the milk and vanilla and then whisk this into the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter.  Pour this over top of the peaches and butter.

Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, testing at 35.  If it is getting too brown, cover with foil.  The finished cobbler should be crisply edged and golden brown.   Serve warm with cold vanilla ice cream.


6 comments

  1. Marie I love peaches ! This look delicious !!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gloria, it is really good! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny it's the only fruit I don't LOVE:)

    I think it was the fuzzies;)

    This looks great however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I love the tinned ones Monique! Nectarines are gorgeous also! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I am fortunate enough to live in NJ, the Garden State, and right now we have a bounty of peaches and plums. They are so delicious fresh that I almost hesitate to bake with them. These recipes look good though. Even though they are supposed to be sweets, I love fruit cobblers for breakfast with good strong tea..a guilty pleasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that does sound like a guilty pleasure! I love these fruits fresh also, but baking does bring out even more flavour! It's amazing!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!