Peach and Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Saturday 8 August 2015

 photo DSCN2586_zpssgyefhwu.jpg

Well, it's the weekend and we all know what that means.  It's baked treat in the kitchen time!  Oh, I try hard not to eat cakes and such during the week . . .  but at the weekend I like to pull out the stops and bake us something nice for a treat.   Tasty bakes like this Peach and Blueberry Breakfast Cake are something which we both enjoy!


 photo DSCN2587_zps8biilckc.jpg

There is so much lovely fruit in the shops at the moment.  This is one of the things I just love about the summer months!

 photo DSCN2588_zpscr9hzl36.jpg

Blueberries, raspberries, nectarines, peaches, blackberries, the last of the strawberries . . .  cherries!  It's all good!

  photo DSCN2589_zpsk8x9sqke.jpg

I like to use it as much as I can, and also freeze what I can.   We have our own blueberry bushes, but when they are cheap in the shops like right  now, I buy them up and freeze them as well.  So handy in the winter for pies and muffins and pancakes, etc.

 photo DSCN2590_zps6aiosv0y.jpg

But right now we are enjoying them fresh and as often as we can.   YOU will love this beautiful breakfast cake.  It's stogged full of lovely blueberries and sliced peaces  . . .  moist and delicious.  You can use fresh or tinned peaches.  I used tinned this time as that is all I had.  Still fabulous . . .  and the almond glaze.  Well, it is the perfect topping!

  photo DSCN2591_zpsmcraylja.jpg

*Blueberry and Peach Breakfast Cake*
makes one 8 inch round cake
You can use either tinned or fresh peaches in this, which makes it a cake you can pretty much bake all year round.  Stogged full of fruit and covered in a delicious almond glaze, it is a cake everyone loves. 

For the cake:
140g of plain flour (1 cup)
95g of white sugar (1/2 cup)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp grated orange zest
65g of butter, cut into cubes (1/4 cup)
125ml of milk (1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large free range egg, slightly beaten
1 tin of sliced peaches drained well (411g/14 ounces)
50g of blueberries (1/2 cup) 

For the glaze:
65g of icing sugar, sifted (1/2 cup)
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 to 2 1/2 tsp of milk


 photo DSCN2592_zpslm2ezxkg.jpg 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Grease an 8 inch round deep cake tin very well.  (I use a non-stick spring form pan and spray it with canola spray.)


Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.  Stir in the sugar and orange zest.   Mix well.  Drop in the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients until crumbly.   Beat together the milk, egg and vanilla.   Add to the dry ingredients and stir together with a fork to moisten.   Pour 2/3 of it into the prepared baking tin.   Arrange the peaches and the blueberries over top.   Pour the remaining batter over top to cover lightly.
 
  photo DSCN2593_zpsczbpdnpd.jpg

Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the edges are golden brown and cooked through.   Cool in the pan for 20 minutes.

 photo DSCN2594_zpsji2cvadh.jpg


Whisk the glaze ingredients together, only adding enough milk to give you a drizzle consistency.  Drizzle over the cake.  Allow to set.  Cut into wedges to serve.

 photo DSCN2596_zpsyjy2f4gg.jpg

ENJOY!  It's the weekend!

10 comments

  1. That cake looks delicious! I like fruit cakes.
    Just wanted to tell you that yesterday I made that pizza crust your way and it turned out beautifully. Family enjoyed it greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, I am so happy you enjoyed the pizza crust! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I am drooling over this post (and I'm in the middle of eating lunch !). That cake looks beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frugal! It was a very delicious breakfast!

      Delete
  4. Look beautiful Marie!!! Love the glaze!!! Perfect!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Monique! xoxo

    Thanks Gloria! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were peaches and blueberries in the fridge this morning, so my family and i ended up enjoying delicious slices of this Breakfast Cake on our backyard patio in Burlington, Ontario. Yummy! Thanks for a fabulous recipe. I'll definitely be making this one again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trust it makes me very happy when people use the recipes I share and enjoy them! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry that should say Trudy, auto correct !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!