Peanut Butter and Banana Cake

Saturday 22 August 2015

 photo DSCN2834_zpsuhk8yrbg.jpg

I had scheduled both the Elders and the Sisters for tea appointments this week, two days in a row and so I set about to do a dessert to serve them that I could actually use two days in a row and decided that a large cake would do the trick.   I could cut it into squares and serve it with ice cream both nights.   Whatever works, right?

  photo DSCN2835_zpstbyn5hy1.jpg

Peanut Butter and Banana is a popular flavour combination in North America, and Todd actually also really enjoys it.  I had some black nicely ripened bananas that needed using up and so I set about to creat a peanut butter and banana cake with great success! 

 photo DSCN2836_zpsapoykhhl.jpg

 Yay!  I love it when that happens, and trust me when I say . . .  it doesn't always!    I used my favourite banana cake recipe an subbed some peanut butter (smooth) for a portion of the butter, and I used the peanut butter icing recipe from my favourite peanut butter cake.

 photo DSCN2838_zps1tegjzzx.jpg

The end result was a deliciously moist and dense banana cake with a light peanut butter flavour . . .  topped with a rich and nutty icing, which I then topped with crushed banana chips, for just a bit of crunch!  It went down a real treat to all concerned!  Whew!

This would be a great "after-school" cake!

  photo DSCN2839_zpsladzq5jd.jpg

*Peanut Butter and Banana Cake*
Serves 16

Moist and dense cake, with mild banana and peanut butter flavours, topped with a fab peanut buttercream icing! 

For the cake:
3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
420g of plain flour, sifted (3 cups)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
125g of butter, softened (1/2 cup)
60g of smooth peanut butter (1/4 cup)
385g of sugar (2 cups)
3 large free range eggs,beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
340ml of buttermilk (1 1/2 cups) 

For the peanut butter icing:
60g of butter (1/4 cup)
60g of peanut butter (1/4 cup)
325g of icing sugar (2 1/2 cups)
60ml of milk (1/4 cup) 


 photo DSCN2841_zpsmuetcuif.jpg

First bake the cake.  Preheat the oven to 165*C/325*F/ gas mark 3.  Butter and flour a 9 by 15 inch baking tin.  Set aside.

 photo DSCN2843_zpsezixyjoq.jpg


Cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs a third at a time.   Beat in the vanilla.    Sift together the flour and the baking soda.   Add this to the creamed mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.   Stir in the bananas to combine.  Pour into the prepared baking tin.  Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and fifteen minutes.   Remove from the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool.


  photo DSCN2844_zpss5djiz5o.jpg

For the icing beat together all of the icing ingredients until you have a soft spreadable icing.  Only add as much milk as you need to get the right spreading consistency.  Spread the icing on the cooled cake.  Cut into squares to serve.  Enjoy!

7 comments

  1. This cook look delicious!!
    Marie hope you have a nice weekend dear :)
    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gloria, the icing is really nice! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would love the PB addition..I love PB and banana:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a love it or loathe it combination Monique! I am from the love it corner! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just double checking - is baking soda baking powder or bicarb? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking soda is bicarbonate of soda Athlete! Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!