Tex Mex Pasta Salad

Monday 10 August 2015

 photo DSCN2677_zpsmp0asa0q.jpg

I  was wanting a quick and delicious salad at the weekend and so I cobbled together this salad from a bit of this and a bit of that and it all worked together beautifully.  We (Myself and my next door neighbor) quite enjoyed it.  Todd, the great pasta hater, tolerated it and ate it.   Personally I thought it was quite delicious and was very happy with how it had turned out.

 photo DSCN2678_zpsnixafxp4.jpg

It was a delicious mix of cooked bow tie pasta and crisp fresh vegetables . . . .  peppers, onions, corn niblets . . . tinned black beans, ripe avocado, ripe garden cherry tomatoes  . . .  and a punchy tex mex dressing.  I was tempted to add some cheese, but at the last minute I didn't.  I think a nice jack or cheddar would be quite at home in this however.

  photo DSCN2679_zpsb8o5dqov.jpg

The dressing takes advantage of  Tex Mex Flavours  . . .  lime, coriander, cumin, chili, garlic and cayenne.  You can adjust the amounts to your own tastes.  I, personally, don't like food that bites back and so I tend to keep things rather mild, but if you are wanting really spicy, then you may use more of course!

 photo DSCN2680_zpsj5ln5jez.jpg

I had both red and yellow cherry tomatoes this time, which really added to the colour and vibrancy of the salad.  I know that there will be English food purists that will poo poo something like this being in "The English Kitchen," but I think you will find that the UK is now a virtual melting pot of many cultures and flavours and whilst this certainly wouldn't be traditional . . .

 photo DSCN2681_zpsv4vrqqs2.jpg

There are a great many circles in which it would be very much appreciated.  Tex Mex is becoming even more popular over here as time goes by.  I quite like it myself. ☺

  photo DSCN2682_zpsy9j4xmtr.jpg

*Tex Mex Pasta Salad*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe 



Delicious, easy and perfect for those days when you just can't be asked to cook.



For the dressing:
3 TBS olive oil
3 TBS rice vinegar
5 TBS fresh lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp of chili powder (or to taste, in North America you can use up to 1 1/2 tsp of North American
chili powder, which is a lot milder than the chili powder here in the UK)
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch cayenne pepper if desired
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freeze dried Coriander flakes (Cilantro) 


For the salad:
225g of pasta bows (8 ounces, 2 cups uncooked)
1 large mug of frozen corn niblets (1 cup)
1/2 400g (14 ounce) tin of black beans, drained, rinsed and drained again
(Freeze the rest for another time)
1/2 each medium sized red and yellow bell peppers, chopped
1 punnet of ripe cherry tomatoes, halved (about 1 cup before cutting in half)
1/2 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
chopped parsley to garnish

 photo DSCN2683_zpsr5okw4ja.jpg

Put all of the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake well. Set aside.

 photo DSCN2684_zpsrvibzsqq.jpg

Cook the pasta according to the package directions and adding the frozen corn the last few minutes.  Drain well, rinse with cold water to cool it down and drain again.  Put into a large bowl, along with all of the salad ingredients.  Shake the dressing together again and pour over the salad.  Toss to coat.  Serve at room temperature.

4 comments

  1. Sounds fab. Clarify chile powder?

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane. Chili powder is ground red chili. Over here in the UK, it is unadulterated by anything else, pure ground red chili peppers. Very hot, so be judicious with it. In North America, it is mixed with oregano and other things so it is not quite as hot, and you can use more. I hope this clarifies things for you somewhat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eaat the whole bowl.

    Funny how here..I find chili powder so mild ..it must be adulteraded..;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is adulterated Monique! I always bring some back from Canada when I go to visit. The chili powder here is pure and I almost blew everyone's head off when I first came over here and used it on some spicy fries I made for some guests! Totally INEDIBLE! Seriously! A real eye opener! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!