Wash Day Mac and Cheese

Wednesday 19 August 2015






This recipe is as old as the hills, hailing from a day and time when every Monday was Wash Day and women needed something quick and easy and that could basically take care of itself in the oven whilst they did the week's washing for the family.


This may be simple and plain, but it is filled with flavour. It's economical and easy to put together. The hardest part is probably making the bechamel . . . and anyone can do that, just so long as they remember the two rules of bechamel.

  • Don't be in a hurry and try to cook it over too high a heat. Medium-low heat and patience is the key
  • Whisk, whisk, and whisk some more. Whisk it constantly until it thickens. Don't turn your back on it for an instant. It's a sureity it will catch the second you take your eyes off of it!




Cooking marcaroni is likewise very simple. Just follow the package directions and stir it occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick together. Also be sure to add it to the water, only after it comes to the boil and keep it at a slow boil the whole time it is cooking.



I always use good quality Italian chopped tomatoes in tomato juice for this. Lotsa, lotsa good tomato flavour.



Likewise you will want to use a good and flavourful cheese. Today I used a mixture of the cheeses I had leftover from our trip up to Cumbria, the Flakebridge and the Eden Chieftan, but any good and flavourful cheddar will do.



The rest is just cooking magic. Totally delicious this is. I could eat it every day, no kidding. (All you need is a tasty mixed salad on the side and some crusty bread to sop up all of that tasty sauce!)



*Wash Day Macaroni and Cheese*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Plain and simple needn't mean that something isn't tasty. This is absolutely delicious!

2 TBS butter
2 TBS plain flour
12 fluid ounces milk (1 1/2 cups)
salt and ground white pepper to taste
6 ounces dry macaroni (1 cup)
1 (415g) tin of chopped tomatoes in juice (15 ounce tin)
1 stalk celery chopped
4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
6 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed and divided (1 1/2 cups)
Crushed croutons

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook and stir for one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk. Cook and stir until thickened. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Set aside and keep warm.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a shallow casserole dish. Set aside.

Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, celery and half the cheese. Add the sauce and toss to mix. Pour into the prrepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and some crushed croutons.

Bake for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly and lightly browned on top. Delicious!

6 comments

  1. I am sure this is the one my mom made:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great stay by recipe Monique! I love it. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I make this recipe all the time! Whenever I'm tired, or on a tight budget, or craving comfort food, you name it. I've shared it with many friends and they all get addicted, too :) Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Stevie! It's a great recipe! Thanks so much! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie! I made this last night - first time using a recipe from your blog - we loved it!! I doubled the recipe for my family of four - there was one serving left over for my husband to take to work with him as leftovers. I was very nervous about the sauce as I'd never made it before and I spent many a minute whisking the "soup" and thinking "This will never work." But you were right, of course! It took patience (and I actually think I had the heat on too low for a time) but it came out perfectly. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I am so very happy that you enjoyed this and that you took the time to come back and let us all know how it turned out! Thank you so very much! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!