Beef Burrito Bake

Wednesday 9 September 2015

 photo DSCN3151_zpsscauyqmd.jpg

This is a take on everyone's favourite Mexican Burrito, but I have taken the easy way out and just layered everything in a pan and baked it . . . coz sometimes I can be lazy like that.   It actually turned out really tasty, and cut into wedges really well.  We quite liked it!  I love it when my experiments turn out alright!

  photo DSCN31511_zpslp3cxwj7.jpg

For the filling I relied on some store cupboard ingredients and then a pound of fresh ground beef.  I like to use lean beef.  We only ever very rarely eat red meat and when we do eat it, I prefer it not to be too fatty.

 photo DSCN3152_zps6qeig3wn.jpg

I browned the beef and added some onions and fresh peppers and then an envelope of taco seasoning.  I also added a jar of salsa for extra zip!

 photo DSCN3153_zpsj7oqmcz4.jpg

I then just simply layered it in a baking dish with flour tortilla wraps, cheese, rice and a tin of refried beans.   Baked in a moderate oven, it melded into a delicious combination.  I cut it into wedges and dressed each wedge with some sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions and black olives.   Delicious!  Simple.  Quick to make.


 photo DSCN3155_zpskkx1jqwa.jpg

*Beef Burrito Bake*
Serves 6
I call this a lazy man's burrito.  Everything is simply layered in a baking dish and baked.  Hearty.  Simple.  Delicious. Easy Peasy. 

1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 envelope of taco seasoning mix
60ml of water (1/4 cup)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 jar (300g) tomato salsa dip (about1 12 cups)
1 tin (435g) of refried beans (about 2 cups)
1 pouch (2 serving size) of cooked long grain rice (about 2 cups)
8 ounces of four cheese blend (2 cups)
4 large flour tortilla wraps 

To serve:
sour cream
chopped spring onions
sliced black olives
shredded lettuce 


 photo DSCN3156_zpsfva7xzsp.jpg

 
Brown your ground beef in a large skillet which you have sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.   Add the onions and peppers and cook until softened.   Add the taco seasoning mix and water.   Let simmer for about 15 minutes.  Stir in the salsa.   Set aside.


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.


Butter a 9 inch deep round baking tin.   Lay one tortilla in the bottom of the tin.  Spread 1/3 of the tin of refried beans over top.  Top with 1/3 of the meat mixture and 1/3 of the rice.   Sprinkle on 1/4 of the cheese.   Top with another flour tortilla.  Repeat the layers twice, ending with a final tortilla, pressing down lightly as you add each tortilla. Sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese.  Cover lightly with a greased piece of foil, buttered side down and then bake in the preheated oven for about 3 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.  If desired you can remove the foil for the last five minutes of baking to brown up the top a bit. 


Remove from the oven and allow to stand for five minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.  Serve with sour cream for dolloping and onions, olives and lettuce for sprinkling.

4 comments

  1. I bet it's good w/ the crispy fresh lettuce on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I missed your comment Monique! it is very good with the lettuce on top! xo

      Delete
  2. I made this with my grandson today and he loved it! Actually everyone loved it and this will be added to my regular meals from now on. Really easy and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely Marie. I love it when families cook together, but I love it even more when they enjoy what they are cooking and eating! Thank you so much! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!