Chilli Bean Soup with an Avocado Salsa

Monday 28 September 2015

 photo DSCN3364_zpsqq0yz8op.jpg

I have to say that although I found the prospect of ever being able to eat anything delicious a little bit daunting at the first of my Diabetic journey . . .  a week later and I think I am finally beginning to understand things a bit better.  I am a long ways from an expert by all means . . .  but I've learned a lot.  I am looking forward to the class I am going to take at the hospital which will hopefully teach me a lot more.    I have also discovered that there is a wealth of information on the www that is very helpful and informative.

 photo DSCN3365_zpso63k3avi.jpg

This soup I am showing you today is adapted from a recipe I found on Diabetes UK.   (Great site by the way.  I highly recommend!)  I tinkered with it a bit, I admit, but not in any way which would compromise the integrity and diabetic values of the final outcome . . .

  photo DSCN3367_zpsgpee8adx.jpg

The soup itself is thick and very rich tasting.   I added some spices to it.  I can't help tweaking things here and there.  It's just me . . . I can never leave things alone.  The original recipe called for red chillies and I confess . . .  I am not fond of red chillies.  I find them far too hot and I just don't like them.  Instead I used a mild chili powder and some ancho chili paste, for a hint of smokiness.

  photo DSCN3366_zpslfushdyf.jpg

Of course cheese sprinkled over top would have gone down very well, but I opted to use the avocado salsa that came with the recipe and I was really glad I had.  This added texture, colour and a wonderful layer of extra flavours that we both really, REALLY enjoyed!  Not to mention some healthy fat.

 photo DSCN3368_zpsj1pf9e19.jpg

Diabetic or not, I really hope you will make this.  It is my new favourite soup and I know it is a recipe I will make often.   It's quick, easy and delicious!  And it uses (with the exception of the avocado) things that I have in my kitchen all the time.

 photo DSCN3369_zpsw25ypxdj.jpg


*Chilli Bean Soup*
with an avocado salsa
Serves 6
This soup is delicious. Adapted from a recipe I found on Diabetes UK.   It's rich and feels very indulgent, but is very low in calories, fat and sugar.  Do make the salsa. It adds an extra special touch! 

1 TBS rice bran oil (or other heart healthy oil)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mild chili powder
1/4 tsp ancho chili paste
(or to taste)
2 X (420g) tins of kidney beans, drained, rinsed and drained again (2 X 14 1/2 oz tins)
1 X (400g) tin of Chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, undrained (1 X 14 1/2 oz tin)
1.2 litre of vegetable stock (5 cups)
salt and black pepper to taste 

For the salsa:
1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
2 fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 TBS fresh coriander, chopped
1/2 small red onion,  peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tsp mild chili powder (or to taste)
salt and black pepper to taste 


 photo DSCN3370_zpskh59uxh3.jpg

Heat the oil in a large saucepan.  Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, until softened.   Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder and ancho chili paste.  Cook and stir for a minute.  Tip in the beans and tomatoes, along with the vegetable stock.  Bring to the boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook lightly covered for 20 to 25 minutes.

 photo DSCN3372_zpscgjybkw8.jpg

For the salsa, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper. 

Blitz the soup smooth with a hand held stick blender, or very carefully in a regular blender.  Reheat gently and season to taste with some salt and black pepper. 

Serve the hot soup ladled into heated bowls with a dollop of the salsa on top.  Crusty whole wheat bread, yes please!   (Just a tiny smidgen)

Calories: 161
Carbs: 14.1
Protein: 5.3
Fat: 6.9
Saturates: 1.5
Sugars: 5.3
3  portions of fruit and vegetables
Vegetarian





3 comments

  1. I love soups..and this one looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is really good Monique, and very quick to make! xoxo

      Delete
  2. We love soup in this house and we also love a bit of spice, so this one ticked both boxes. We enjoyed it very much. I totally agree that the salsa is well worth making as it adds so much more to the soup. It's a lovely, tasty soup on its own, but that salsa is like the icing on a cake. Simple to make ad really delicious - I think this will be something I make often in the fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!