Fruit Fritters

Saturday 12 September 2015



The sun is shining and, although cool, it's a really beautiful day. Funny how a spot of sunshine can just lift the soul!!

I wanted to make something sweet for our dessert tonight, but as I had a roast in the oven I wasn't really able to bake anything and I was sadly lacking in a lot of other ingredients as well . . . so puddings and such were kind of out of the picture . . .







And then I stumbled upon a recipe for fritter batter in an old shaker cookbook of mine. I think a lot of the shaker's were English Immigrants so . . . it kinda goes with an English Kitchen, does it not?



I think it does anyways, and I happen to know that Banana Fritters are a very popular dish over here!



Of course I don't do anything half way as you know . . . I like to try to put my own stamp on things and to push the edge a little bit and so . . .



I didn't just make banana fritters . . . I made apple fritters and plum fritters too. And then I spied a lone tomato in the basket and thought . . . hmmm . . . tomato fritters. Fabulous! And then coz there was a little bit of batter left I grabbed a little bunch of grapes and thought why the heck not! So in they went also!

They were all pretty special. Tomatoes are a vine fruit, as are grapes, and they both really went down wonderfully, well dusted with cinnamon sugar.



The banana was sweet and sticky and oh so very delicious with some Maple Syrup, likewise the apple, but I am thinking next time (and there will deffo be a next time) I am going to go whole hog and make a toffee sauce!

Oh how wonderful cooking is when you aren't afraid to push the envelope a bit!



*Basic Fritter Batter*
Makes quite a lot
Printable Recipe

This is a basic batter that is great for use on all sorts of fruit. You just need to peel and cut your fruit into bits, dip it into the batter and then deep fry. Serve hot with sugar and or sauce!

6 1/2 ounces flour (1 1/2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
175ml of milk (approx 2/3 cup)
1 large egg, well beaten
fruit pieces
deep fat for frying
sugar, icing sugar and or syrup for serving

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Whisk in the milk gradually and then whisk in the egg until smooth. Dip peeled fruit slices into the batter and fry in deep fat intil crisp and browned, turning with a fork to brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with sauce or syrup if desired.

Dessert Fritters:

Banana fritters are good served with melted red current jelly, or toffee sauce. Maple syrup is also good. Apple fritters are lovely with maple syrup, or custard or even applesauce! All fruit fritters are lovely dusted with cinnamon sugar. Allow one piece of fruit per person.

4 comments

  1. Cute presentation!!Have a great weekend Miss Creativity:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! Don't know how I missed your comment, but somehow I did! Weekend was great, hope yours was too! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I am especially interested in what you thought of the grapes and the tomatoes. Here in the states where I live the grapes on my vines are beginning to get to the end of their days. These grapevines have been here since the days of my great-great-grandfather at least and there are several different varieties. Having been around since at least the beginning of the 1900s that I at least know about they're obviously not the big seedless ones like most folks are used to from the supermarkets. I'm pretty sure none are Concord grapes (one of the 4 fruits native to the United States) but fairly similar. Despite the seeds I'm wondering how they would be. The flavor of the grapes is wonderful. Then, any new thing that can be made with tomatoes is good to know. MOST Americans, anyone with any sort of taste of course, loves tomatoes but like all of us this time of year are drowning in tomatoes everywhere you look. Now everyone is beginning to pull out their green tomato recipes like Fried Green Tomatoes and Green Tomato Pie. I can't imagine tomato fritters wouldn't be good, especially if seasoned well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were both nice Pam! I especially liked the tomato ones. They were really tasty! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!