Zippy Red Slaw

Thursday 24 September 2015

 photo DSCN3285_zpsvww2hqh2.jpg

The challenge with this new diet will be keeping my own sugars in check, and losing weight myself, without Todd losing weight.  He had his yearly check up today and he is in perfectly good health, except he has lost some weight. This means that I either have to cook two separate meals or add some extra's to his.  The latter is the more preferable one, because I don't have the time  to cook two separate meals, nor do I have the inclination, but a few extras for him, I CAN do!


 photo DSCN3286_zps4enqhpkj.jpg

I am going to start an extra tab at the top where I will put in the information I learn concerning this disease which seems to be affecting most families to some degree today.  I am sure some of my readers would get tired of reading it every day, and so I will leave this main part of my blog just to food and recipes and a tab for the rest!

 photo DSCN3287_zpsio7gdkkd.jpg

Today I made a delicious raw slaw for us, well me  . . .  Todd hates any kind of slaw.  He doesn't like the crunch and he doesn't really like raw cabbage.  I cut the recipe in half therefore and I still have some that I can enjoy tomorrow.  I cooked him peas and corn, which he was quite happy with as a vegetable side.

  photo DSCN3288_zps8kcdrrrj.jpg

I think this is pretty healthy all told.  You get vivid colour and crunch from the raw red cabbage, which really doesn't taste much different from green cabbage.   Cabbage is filled with vitamins and is quite low in any carbohydrate value and natural sugars.

 photo DSCN3289_zps6ahl3erj.jpg

 I added some red beans and some corn for extra fibre and just a tiny bit of starch, but not overwhelmingly so.  The beans also add protein, which is really important.  Chopped tomatoes added a bit of colour and natural sweetness and some chopped spring onion added a bit of zest.

 photo DSCN3290_zps9rb3blbj.jpg

Add to that a zesty dressing using balsamic vinegar (yum!), sesame oil (half the amount as vinegar), minced garlic, crushed chillies, some chopped coriander and seasoning and it made for a really delicious salad.  Of course you could increase the amount of chillies if you wanted to have a bit more fire to it, but I was quite happy with what I had.  I strongly suspect that the leftovers will taste even better  tomorrow!

 photo DSCN3291_zpsknsf4pov.jpg

*Zippy Red Slaw*
Serves 4

This is delicious, filled with fibre and low in calories.  There is approximately 13g of carbs per serving. 

500g of finely shredded red cabbage ( 2 cups)
1/4 tsp salt
125g of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (1/2 cup)
125g of corn niblets, drained (1/2 cup)
75g of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro, 1/3 cup)
1 medium tomato, diced
1 spring onion, chopped
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 TBS sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed chillies (red pepper flakes)
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
salt and pepper to taste 


 photo DSCN3292_zpsb5jx0iai.jpg

 
Put the cabbage into a bowl.  Sprinkle with the salt and set aside for about 10 minutes.   Add the kidney beans, corn, coriander, tomato and spring onions.  Whisk together the vinegar, sesame oil, crushed chillies and garlic.  Pour over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat.   Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. 


Note - This salad can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.

This was easy to make and used simple ingredients.  It was also delicious and filled with fibre and nutrition.   It also helped to make up several of my five a day!   



8 comments

  1. In Australia we have a series of seven cookbooks called "Symply too good to be true" by Annette Sym. They are endorsed by Diabetes Australia. I don't have diabetes but I highly recommend them as healthy tasty family meals. I prefer the first 5 books as the later ones the food is getting a bit fancier. I know people from all over the world use these books. If you want me to send you one let me know. All of your booklets that I purchased the other day are beautiful and you must be very proud of them.
    Kellie
    jamesnkel@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words re my cookbooklets Kellie! I am proud of them and it makes me happy to know others can see the value in them! You have made my day. I will look up those books and see if I can't get one of them here! Thanks for the point in that direction! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gorgeous jewel red slaw looks and sounds delicious. I really don't think you can beat homemade slaw. I personally enjoy hearing about your new journey with Diabetes (even though I'm very sorry that you have it). In fact you may appeal to an even wider audience. It's part of you and you are what makes the English Kitchen so enjoyable to read, as well as sharing lip smacking recipes. Sammie x http://www.feastingisfun.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww . . . thank you so much Sammie! You made me smile. This was only a small part of a whole delicious meal. Stay tuned for the protein part tomorrow. It was a real winner! xo

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I think you have a great attitude about it. I will be following your journey - I have a hypertensive husband who has recently got a slightly elevated fasting glucose result - nothing alarming yet, but definitely a warning sign. I am trying to help the best I can with healthy but delicious homemade food, so I'm always looking for inspiration. The best news about these kinds of conditions is that nowadays there are things we can do, medication that helps and if we take good care of ourselves we can live healthy, happy and long lives! Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cloudberry! Sorry about your husband, but at least you have had warning and can do something about it before it's too late. I wish I had had a warning! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love your attitude too and I look forward to every post:)
    This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique. I am a woman on a mission! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!