Samosa Hash . . Gorgeous Leftovers!

Thursday 17 December 2015

 photo DSCN4551_zpsi9rvyaul.jpg

I was going to make a shepherd's pie with the leftovers from the roasted lamb the other day but instead I decided to make a hash, but not just any kind of hash . . .  a Lamb Samosa Hash!  Lamb is a common filling used to make Samosa's and so I thought why not make a hash which incorporates the flavours which go into a Samosa and all I can say is  . . .  GREAT CALL on my part, because it was fabulous!

  photo DSCN4552_zpsbvlwjzbg.jpg

A samosa is a common snack in countries such as India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh. Normally it consists of a pastry shell of a triangular shape, with a savory vegetarian filling made with potato, onion, coriander and green peas.  They are deep fried once filled.  You can also get lamb and chicken ones.

 photo DSCN4554_zpszgamjqyh.jpg

When I lived in Oromocto New Brunswick, you could get lovely ones at the Fredericton Farmer's market on Saturdays.   They were so fresh and so delicious.  I used to pick them up and bring them over to my eldest son's apartment when he was at Uni.  We would devour them together because we both loved them so much.  Those were always vegetarian ones.

  photo DSCN4555_zpstx8htn8i.jpg

My friend Joy, who has lived all over the world including India, South Africa and Australia makes fabulous Lamb ones . . .  with only ground lamb.  I love hers.  They are quite simply gorgeous . . .  absolutely and positively.

  photo DSCN4556_zpsjkethofh.jpg

 This is like a combination and the best bits of the two.   I used leftover potatoes, peas and carrots from our roasted dinner, and of course the leftover lamb, cut up in small bits.  I added a chopped onion  . . .

 photo DSCN4557_zpsvupmuerb.jpg

Ground cinnamon, coriander, ginger and cayenne along with some curry and garlic powders and a hint of lemon juice  . . .  and a chopped tomato all went into the mix, with the end result being something which was positively delicious and which we both enjoyed very much.

  photo DSCN4558_zpshbbsdtmq.jpg

It made enough for four people, so we enjoyed it two days in a row, and I have to say quite happily. It was delicious.  Truly delicious. I do hope you will give it a go.   You don't need to confine yourself to using only leftover lamb for this . . .  chicken, turkey, beef or pork, all would be equally as delicious.   I think you will really love it.

  photo DSCN4559_zpsr6kqj5jv.jpg

 This would be a delicious and unusual way to use up some of your Christmas Leftovers, both protein and vegetable!

 photo DSCN4561_zpsi8cw8lle.jpg

*Lamb Samosa Hash*
Serves 4
All the flavours of a samosa without the fuss of wrapping and deep frying.   Delicious and a great way to use up leftover lamb.   You could actually use any leftover roasted meat in this.  All would be fabulous! 

1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 TBS butter
1 TBS cooking oil
1/4 tsp each ground cinnamon, garlic powder, ground ginger and cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 cups leftover roast lamb, cubed
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS lemon juice
1 medium tomato peeled and chopped
2 cups leftover boiled potatoes. chopped
1 cup leftover cooked peas and carrots, the carrots chopped
freshly ground black pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley and or fresh coriander to scatter 


 photo DSCN4562_zpslkdm3abw.jpg

 
Melt the butter together with the cooking oil in a large skillet.   Add the onion.  Cook, stirring  occasionally, over medium low heat, until golden.  Add all of the spices, along with 1 tsp salt, the lamb and the potatoes.   Cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until the potatoes begin to brown.  Add the peas and carrots and the tomato,along with the lemon juice.  Continue to heat through.   Add some black pepper, stir it in, taste and adust seasoning as required.   Scatter with some chopped fresh parsley and coriander and serve immediately.

We had this with a delicious salad on the side!


4 comments

  1. I love using up everything..when we have something like this J whips it up..he's really good at it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would so love to eat some of J's cooking Monique! I am sure he is a wonderful cook, just like you! xo

      Delete
  2. Marie you will be happy to know that we still stand in line at the Fredericton market for samosa. Hubby and I are going there tomorrow so I'll have one for you. Thanks again for a great recipe..........Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mam, what a lovely thought! Have two for me! haha I wish! You lucky girl! Hope you will make this and enjoy! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!