Buttermilk Chocolate Cake

Sunday 31 January 2016

 photo DSCN4960_zpsxzlzopey.jpg

You would be right in thinking that this is not something which you will see very often in this kitchen . . .  chocolate cake.  The Toddster doesn't like chocolate cakes, pies or cookies, or puddings for that matter  . . .  and with my diabetes I try very hard not to eat this stuff, but when I was having four missionary elders for dinner a week or so ago I decided that I would bake them a chocolate cake for dessert.

  photo DSCN4961_zpsa0aeinhh.jpg

This is a recipe I adapted from one I found in the cookbook entitled, Barefoot Contessa  at Home, by Ina Garten.  You can't go wrong really with a Barefoot Contessa recipe.  They are all pretty much fool proof.  At least I have never had one go wrong.

 photo DSCN4962_zpshldivkki.jpg

The buttermilk in this makes for a really delicious and moist chocolate cake . . .   and there is coffee in the batter which also helps to greatly enhance the chocolate flavours.

 photo DSCN4963_zpsvt2fyacp.jpg

Ina frosts her with a chocolate frosting, but I have always loved vanilla butter cream on my chocolate cakes.  And because it was the elders  . . .

  photo DSCN4964_zpste5mwqqj.jpg

I went a bit crazy with the cake sprinkles  . . .  fudge bits, chocolate chips, chocoate coated crispy bits and white chocolate flakes all found their way to the top of this cake, with really delicious results.  Put it this way  . . .  ain't nobody was complaining!

  photo DSCN4965_zps92nz8bnq.jpg

*Buttermilk Chocolate Cake*
Makes one 8-inch round cake
Serves 8

This cake is moist and filled with lots of chocolate flavour.  Adding a cup of hot coffee to the batter helps to enhance the chocolate flavours!   Adapted from the cookbook entitled Barefoot Contessa At Home. 

245g of plain flour (1 3/4 cup)
385g of sugar (2 cups)
85g cocoa powder (3/4 cup)
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1./2 tsp salt
225ml buttermilk (1 cup)  (shake well)
120ml vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
2 large free range eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
225ml hot fresh coffee (1 cup)
Frosting as desired (we like vanilla buttercream)


 photo DSCN4966_zpsdwg19boe.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter two 8 inch round non-stick cake tins really well and line the bottoms with baking paper.  (alternately you can butter, dust with flour, shaking out any excess flour)
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, soda and baking powder into a bowl along with the salt, mixing well together.   In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.  Using an electric mixer on low speed, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients slowly.   Slowly beat in the hot coffee, just to combine.

Divide the batter between the two prepared baking tins. The batter may seem thin, but no worries, it is just right.


Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Allow to sit in the pan for thirty minutes before carefully tipping out onto a wire rack to cool completely.


Sandwich together with your favourite frosting (or jam) and use the remainder of your frosting to ice the sides and top.  Decorate as desired.  I like to use chocolate sprinkles, chocolate chips, caramel bits, etc.

 photo DSCN4967_zpswfzzpiul.jpg


*Perfect Vanilla Buttercream Icing*
Makes enough to fill and frost a layer cake

8 ounces (weight) butter, softened (1 cup)
12 ounces icing sugar, sifted (3 cups)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 to 2 TBS double cream

Beat the butter and sugar together on low until well blended and then continue to beat on mdeium for another few minutes until it begins to become fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and 1 TBS cream, only adding the second one if needed until you have a frosting of spreading consistency.

 photo DSCN4970_zpsfeulfrnm.jpg

*Chocolate Buttercream Frosting*
Makes 2 cups


This is a creamy and delicious frosting that goes well on cakes and cookies.  It makes enough to frost a whole double layer cake.  If you are only wanting enough to frost some cookies, the recipe can very easily be cut in half.  You decided just how chocolately you want it to be by the amount of cocoa you decide to use.


1/2 cup butter, softened
2 2/3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup single cream or milk
1 tsp vanilla
Choose ONE of the following:
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for light)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for medium)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for dark rich)

Place the butter into a large bowl and cream it until light and fluffy.  Beat in the icing sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla, alternately with the milk or cream, only adding as much liquid as you need to get the consistency you desire.  You may not need it all, and , in the case of the dark rich frosting, you may even need a bit more.

Bon Appetit!

10 comments

  1. YUM...MY! Looks lovely - very moist and light. I never make chocolate cake as my hubby, like your's, doesn't like them either. Think I will make an exception for this one though (when the children are home, as can't eat it all myself haha ;))!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike you, I could eat it all myself Victoria! haha That's why I only ever make it when others are around who will take it off my hands! xo

      Delete
    2. Haha, that's exactly what I meant Marie - I could also eat it all so have to wait until I can share it ;). Will be adding to my list though as it looks delish! Xx

      Delete
    3. It's downright dangerous Victoria! You'll love it I am sure! xo

      Delete
  2. What lovely and delicious chocolate cake dear Marie !!!
    xoxoxo
    Today I saw 2 young missioners ! I remember you of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria! I hope you said hello! It would have made their day! xo

      Delete
  3. Poor guys Marie so hhot here (summer ) and you know they are always walking . I was a little far but the next time I will say Hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will make their day! I keep forgetting it is summer there! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!