Lemon Cake Pie

Saturday 30 January 2016



I want to tempt you just a little bit this morning with a tasty recipe from my Big Blue Binder. This is a big blue plastic covered binder that I have been carrying around with me since I was a little girl. (I was 9 or 10 when I started it.) It is old and tatty now, and bulging at the seams . . . but it is also filled with beautiful gems . . .




A beautiful collection of fantastic recipes that I have prised and garnered from family and friends through the years . . . and tried and loved so much that they have become my tried and true's and solid go to's . . . time tested and tested over time, they are my old faithfuls. So much so that I wrote a cookery book which contains some of the very best ones of all. You can read more about that here. But we are not talking about my cookery book today . . .



Today we are talking about Lemon Cake Pie. Or as it is affectionately known as over here . . . Lemon Delicious Pie. Different name . . . same thing.



You know that lemon pudding which, when baked, magically separates into a delicious cake on top and a lovely custard on the bottom . . . this is the same thing . . . except it is in a pie people.



A PIE! Yes . . . a pie. And we all know how much I love pie!!! There is no such thing as a bad pie . . . (Don't burst my bubble!)



This is gorgeous. I have been dragging this recipe around with me for yonks. It never fails to please anyone who I bake it for.



I wanted to take a picture of it whilst the light was good today and so the pie hadn't actually set up completely and was still a bit warm when I cut a piece to photograph . . . but I promise you a couple of hours in the fridge and it sets up perfectly.



Unfortunately it is sooooooooo delicious that the missionaries I baked it for ate it all up before I could get a picture of it set up. You'll just have to make do with these photos . . .
and trust me when I say . . . as delicious as it may look . . . it tastes even better. Seriously.

Try it today. You won't be sorry. I promise!



*Lemon Cake Pie*
Makes one 9 inch pie
Printable Recipe

One of our favourites. Lemon Cake and Pie together. How much better can life get?

190g granulated sugar (1 cup)
1 TBS butter
3 TBS plain flour
1/8 tsp salt
the finely grated zest and juice of two unwaxed lemons
2 large free range eggs, separated
375ml of milk (1 1/2 cups)
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
Whipped Cream for serving

Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/ gas mark 3. Roll out your pastry, fit it into a 9 inch pie dish, trim and flute. Set aside.

Measure the sugar, flour, salt and lemon zest into a bowl. Rub in the butter until all are completely rubbed together and the mixture resembles sand. Beat in the two egg yolks and the lemon juice. Whisk in the milk. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold these carefully into the mixture. Pour this into the pie dish. Carefully move the pie dish to the heated oven.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until lightly browned, set with just a little jiggle in the centre and a knife inserted close to the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before serving.

Cut into slices to serve and top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.

PS - If you think you have seen this before, you're right.  I couldn't access any of my new photos of the newest things I've been cooking today as Photobucket has been down all day.  Oh well. More to look forward to tomorrow!

12 comments

  1. Well, I'm happy that you posted it again, because I hadn't seen it before, and it looks fabulous! I will definitely be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy that you're happy to see it again Kath! I hate doing reposts because I really do like to show you something new each day. If this is new to you though then that's good! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! xo

      Delete
  2. Ooh this looks rather yummy. No wonder it was snuffled up before you got a chance to get your blog pics! Quite right too. Gorgeous recipe that I shall be trying. Sammie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very tasty Sammie. I think you will love it! xo

      Delete
  3. I've never thought to do this as a pie. What a clever idea and so versatile as you can have it as a pudding with dinner or as afternoon tea (or breakfast, but that might just be me - ha, ha!) I love anything lemony, both sweet and savoury so I know I'll like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also good for breakfast Marie. Not that I'd know anything about that! haha ;-) xo

      Delete
  4. Even your pie crusts look perefct!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Monique! That's a real compliment! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pie and I love lemon. I know I would love this recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love lemons and you love pie then you are sure to love this Carol' xo

      Delete
  7. Dear Marie I love all with lemon (more than chocolate) and this look absolutely delicious!! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gloria! Like you, I love lemon anything, and yes, sometimes even more than chocolate! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!