Creamy Turkey & Broccoli Gnocchi

Monday 4 April 2016

 photo DSCN6237_zpszyx7e01s.jpg

I threw this delightful dish together at the end of the week last week.  I had a broccoli crown in the refrigerator that really needed using up and I was wanting to eat something healthy.  I also had a couple of leeks that were almost past their best and so I wanted to use them as well.

 photo DSCN6239_zpsg0fuc3no.jpg

Turkey and broccoli go really well together.  I had a pack of turkey steaks in the refrigerator and so I cut them into strips, which I sauteed along with the leeks.

  photo DSCN6240_zpsg4wknev5.jpg

I thought Todd would protest if I tried to serve him pasta yet again, and so I used a package of potato gnocchi which I had in the cupboard . . .  they are kinda like little potato dumplings.  I love them and tend to use them like I would potatoes.  They work well that way.

 photo DSCN6241_zpsig2oim5b.jpg

A simple sauce of creme fraiche (I used 50% less fat creme fraiche) and some grainy Dijon mustard along with a bit of orange juice from an orange that had seen better days to loosen it up and I had a delicious sauce to toss together with everything in the pan.  I finished it off with some chopped toasted walnuts for some added texture and crunch.

 photo DSCN6242_zpsytoxmuhh.jpg

It all worked together beautifully and came together in a flash.  It was complete and on the table in less than 20 minutes.  I like dishes like that, because I am rather lazy you know.  And when I am hungry, I am hungry.  I hope you'll try it.  It is really very delicious! (The leftovers were quite delicious re-heated the day after as well!)

 photo DSCN6245_zpswijwb5nt.jpg


*Creamy Turkey & Broccoli Gnocci*
Serves 4

A delicious dish which goes together in a flash!  Just make sure you have all of your mis en place done before time and it will all be done and on the table in about 20 minutes. 

1 TBS light olive oil
500g (generous pound) turkey breast strips
2 small leeks, trimmed, rinsed and sliced thin
500g (generous pound) of ready made fresh gnocchi
200g (1/2 pound) broccoli, but into bite sized pieces
85g (scant half cup) creme fraiche (I used half fat)
1 TBS wholegrain mustard
3 TBS orange juice
3 TBS chopped toasted walnuts
salt and black pepper to taste


 photo DSCN6246_zpspb3lmfmd.jpg

Have a lightly salted pot of water on the boil.  Heat the oil in a large skiller and then add the turkey and sliced leeks.  Cook, stirring frequently, over high heat for about 6 minutes.  Add the broccoli and gnocchi to the salted water and cook for three to four minutes.  Drain well and toss into the skillet with the turkey mixture.  Whisk together the creme fraiche, mustard and orange juice.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper.  Stir into the mixture in the wok and briefly heat through.  Sprinkle with the toasted walnuts and serve.

 photo DSCN6248_zpsfvwajnzh.jpg

Did you know that Turkey, Leeks, Broccoli and Walnuts are all considered to be superfoods?   They are so I guess you could also call this creamy Superfoods Gnocchi!   Bon Appetit!

2 comments

  1. I love gnocchi too..my first attempt when the girls were teens..was a catastrophe!

    Now I know better.
    Yum Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would all love this Monique! We sure did! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!