Lassy Buns & Hot Dog and Baked Bean Casserole

Thursday 7 April 2016

 photo DSCN6210_zpsrc4jya1s.jpg

My sister shared this recipe with me on facebook the other day.   Lassy Buns.   Delicious scone type/baking powder biscuit type of buns made with the goodness of molasses, cinnamon and a bit of cloves.  This is a down East recipe and the type of bread which might be offered at baked bean suppers!

  photo DSCN6211_zpsl0eonia0.jpg

I did a search and found the original recipe on Stuffed at the Gills, which is a Newfie blog, so you just know they are good.  Newfies know how to cook and eat.

 photo DSCN6212_zpsp5xwrzq0.jpg

The dough was quite sticky and so I added more flour to it.  In any case they were delicious and I know I will make them again and again.

  photo DSCN6213_zpsonxdjzhn.jpg

I served them, hot . . .  spread with butter, and along with a Hot Dog and Baked Bean Casserole that I make from time to time, and some coleslaw on the side.  It was all very delicious.  I felt like I was back home in a down East kitchen, where a pot of molasses is always on the table, and at the ready.

 photo DSCN6214_zpswpwrzayn.jpg


*Lassy Buns*
Makes  about 15 medium buns
A delicious kind of biscuit/scone adapted from a recipe found on Stuffed at the Gill's. 


3 cups flour (420g  I needed a bit more)
95g of sugar (1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves, Optional
125ml molasses (1/2 cup)
(In the UK I use equal amounts of dark treacle and golden syrup
125g butter (1/2 cup)
125ml milk (1/2 cup)
1 free range egg 


 photo DSCN6215_zpscb7krdnf.jpg

Preheat oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Line a cookie sheet with baking paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients together, mixing well.  Set  aside.

In a small microwave-proof bowl, combine molasses, butter and milk.  Microwave for 40 seconds or until butter is starting to melt.  Whisk to combine.  The mixture should be warm, not hot.  If its hot let it cool down.  whisk in the egg and vanilla.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture.  Gently mix together to form a soft dough. 

Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and gently knead 3 or 4 times to bring the dough together.  Pat dough out into a rectangle or circle about an inch high.  Using a well floured biscuit cutter cut out the buns and lay on the prepared baking sheet.  You may have the buns touching for soft sides or leave a little space between for crusty sides. 

Bake 12-15 minutes, until puffed, set and golden brown on the bottoms.  Serve warm for the best flavour, but they are also good cold with butter and jam. 


 photo DSCN6217_zpsygnhtjhr.jpg 

This is a quick and easy casserole to throw together.  I always keep the ingredients on hand for when I just want to have something which is tasty but doesn't take a lot of effort. 

  photo DSCN6224_zpscbpbuevb.jpg 

It's a real rib sticker.  Sometimes I bake cornbread to go along with it or biscuits, or even bread.  The coleslaw is the perfect accompaniment.  You can find my recipe for that here.   Just scroll down the page.  Today I added raisins to the mix.  Delicious! 

  photo DSCN6229_zpsoh1wphhv.jpg 


*Hot Dog and Baked Bean Casserole*
Serves 4

Simple, hearty and delicious! 

3 tins of haricot beans, drained and rinsed (300g each, 12 ounces each)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, undrained (400g, 14 ounces)
1/2 cup boiling water
2 TBS of dark soft brown sugar
2 TBS molasses
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 TBS cider vinegar
salt and black pepper to taste
splash of hot sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 package of frankfurters, sliced


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark4.


Mix all of the ingredients together in a casserole dish until well combined.  Cover tightly and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until bubbling, and somewhat thickened.  Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes to brown the top.  If you think it is too thick, you can add a bit of stock or water.



 photo 15996_1_zpsgmcvo9ji.jpg


Of course the tomatoes I like to use for this are Cirio chopped tomatoes in tomato juice. Why? Coz they are the best and I love them. I know. I always say that, but . . . it's true and when I find ingredients that I really, I just hafta share.

 photo DSCN6231_zpsf4zakvdl.jpg

Bon Appetit!

2 comments

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!