Mushroom Sauced Turkey Tenderloins

Tuesday 26 April 2016

 photo DSCN6647_zpsk0jcttis.jpg

I know it might not seem  like it sometimes, but I do try to eat healthy.  All the cake recipes etc. you see on here, I didn't bake them all at the same time.  I try to only bake two things a week and those I bake at the weekend.  The rest of the week I eat other things.  As a type 2 diabetic with diverticulitis and IBS, and severe exema,   finding a healthy balance can be really difficult, and a bit of a mine field, if not down right depressing from time to time.



I've been recently been looking into the Whole 30 way of eating and wondering if this might not be a way of eating for me to explore.  This eating plan involves eating meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds, preferably as unprocessed and natural as possible, for 30 days, cutting out sugars, grains, alcohol, legumes and  dairy.  For 30 days.

 photo DSCN6649_zpscjibd0zz.jpg

I'm not sure I can do that  . . . but I am going to try.    We will see how it goes.  This program promises that if you follow it to the letter in 30 days you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system.

 photo DSCN6650_zpsi6bvomwd.jpg

It sounds good and like something I want to do.   This week I am trying a few different Whole 30 recipes to see if it is something I might be able to live and cope with.   Sticky my toes into the water as it were . . .  to test the temperature and if I like it, then I'll jump in with both feet.



To that end today I tried a recipe that I found on Physical Kitchness For a Cream of Celery and Mushroom Baked Chicken.   it looked really good.  I have adapated it though, to use turkey tenderloin meat and I switched out the directions a bit.



I was very happy with the end result and Todd was too.  It was delicious.  I used ground almonds because I didn't really have any almond flour and the almond flour available online was quite expensive.  I looked up what is almond flour and it appears that it is just finely ground raw almonds.  In any case the ground almonds I used worked well.  We had it with stir steamed tenderstem broccoli and steamed new potatoes.  We both enjoyed it very much.

  photo DSCN6655_zpst3tmka7g.jpg

*Mushroom Sauced Turkey Tenderloins*
Serves 4
This is gluten, wheat and dairy free . . .  and delicious!  Who knew!  Whole30 friendly.


2 Turkey tenderloins
1 TBS olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 punnet of closed cup mushrooms, Sliced (about 2 cups)
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 TBS lemon juice
500ml chicken stock (2 cups)
250ml of almond milk (1 cup)
50g of almond flour (1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Slice the tenderloins crosswise into 4 pieces each.  Place into a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer.  Set aside.


Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.  Add the onions.  Saute, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften.  Add the celery and mushrooms.  Cook, stirring, until they softened.  spoon half of this mixture over the turkey tenderloins pieces.  Add the chicken stock, to the remainder and heat  through.   Whisk in the lemon juice, salt, onion and garlic powder, thyme and pepper.  Whisk together the almond milk and almond flour. Whisk into the pan.  Transfer this mixture to a blender and blitz until smooth  Pour this over the turkey tenderloins.

 Cover with foil or a lid and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.  Uncover and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the turkey juices run clear.  Serve hot.


Note- This is great with some tiny boiled new potatoes and broccoli on the side.


 photo DSCN6656_zps5tscv9sm.jpg

Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. I've not heard of Whole 30, but looking at the program, I think I'd struggle with the no grains and ne legumes, but overall it seems to promote quite healthy eating. I think that's something everyone should strive for.

    Your recipe sounds lovely. Turkey is hard to come by over here, but I could do this with chicken instead. I love a nice mushroom sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken is what was used in the original recipe Marie. I think I will struggle with it also. Very strict regime, but healthy eating! xo

      Delete
  2. You are great at switching up recipes:) I applaud you:)
    Almond flour is $$ perhaps that is why a macaron is $$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make your own Monique, but it is a fine line between having the right consistency and having paste. xo

      Delete
  3. I've recently started following your blog and even though I haved tried any of your recipes, I love them all.

    I think we're about the same age and I, too, have been changing my diet to lose weight and also to be healthier. I've discovered that despite eliminating grains and sugar, I was still not losing beyond the initial 10lbs. I don't remember how I came upon this video, but it has changed everything for me. As funny as it sounds, "Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off", this man knows what he's talking about. It all made perfect sense to me, so now I am following a low carb, no sugar diet, but I'm coupling it with Intermitten Fasting. That was the key for me. He explains it so much better than I ever could, but IF is the key. It has to do with permanently lowing your fasting insulin and raising your metabolism. I hope you look into it. It might change things for you too. Whatever you do though, good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to check into that Unknown! Thanks so much! Xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!