Sausage Hash

Wednesday 20 April 2016

 photo DSCN6547_zpsbtuqi6ev.jpg

If you are looking for a delicious and quick weeknight supper that is a bit of a doddle to make and something your entire family will love, look no further.  You've hit the jackpot with this one!  This tasty entree ticks all the boxes!

 photo DSCN6548_zpsnk1r9lvr.jpg

I apologise for the photos.  I always have a difficult time adapting to the changing light with the seasons.  Once I get used to the change, it all works itself out, but finding the right place to take photos in natural light can be a bit dodgy at times.

  photo DSCN6549_zpswhcozfvb.jpg

In any case, I hope they don't put you off of this very tasty dish.   I like to use a really meaty sausage for this.  I do have my favourite brands . . . as you know.   I like organic, without fillers and gluten free if possible.  A Cumberland works very well in this as they are nicely spiced!

 photo DSCN6551_zpstoqpi3ek.jpg

Whenever I boil potatoes I always boil a few extra so that I can make hashbrowns or some such . . .  and they come in really handy for dishes like this one.   If you don't have any you could cook some special just for this, which would add to the time needed of course . . .  or you could keep a couple of tins of cooked potatoes in the larder.  (I do that too!)

  photo DSCN6553_zpsj54yjtu5.jpg

Of course if you live in North American you will have access to frozen loose hasbrown potatoes, but we don't have those here.  Home cooked are really best though . . .

 photo DSCN6552_zpsg11ak7bv.jpg


*Sausage Hash*
Serves 4

This is a simple and quick supper that is all in one pan.  Make sure you could extra potatoes one night so that  you can make this. Alternately you can use a tin of new potatoes, well drained and cubed.  It's delicious! 

1 pound of meaty herby sausages, skins removed and discarded
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 medium green pepper, trimmed, seeded and chopped
3 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
salt and pepper to taste
splash of Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS olive oil


 photo DSCN6559_zps32axkyhu.jpg

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.    Crumble in the sausage meat.  Cook, stirring and mashing to break it up, until it is cooked through.  Add the Worcestershire sauce, onions and carrots.  Cook, stirring frequently until the onions have softened.  Stir in the peppers and potatoes.  Contiue to cook and stir until the peppers have softened and the potatoes are beginning to brown.   Season to taste with salt and black pepper.  Serve hot.
Note - I like to serve this with a salad on the side.

 photo DSCN6560_zpsknzsjbyd.jpg

The sausage I chose to use for this delicious dish today was debbie & andrews Perfect Cumberland sausages.  I love them.  They're 100% British and filled with lovely pink and green peppercorns giving it that perfect spicy bite and there are no fillers as they are gluten, wheat and dairy free.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments

  1. Something Jacques would like for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could make it with some of J's homemade sausage! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!